Just racked my 1st batch to secondary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSaLTy

Reaction score
Pretty cool.... just racked to secondary on my 1st batch after just less then a week. Hydrometer was at 1.016 and Fg is supposedly 1.010-1.012 so I'm getting there. And HEY! it tastes like BEER! :rockin: Took a lot longer then I figured it would with all the sanitizing and cleaning but I figure some of that is just cuz I don't know what I'm doing yet. :D

Even after repeated cleaning the carboy still has a slight beer smell. Is that normal or do I need to scrub more? cheers!! :tank:

keep scrubbin! shouldn't have any smell left in it. Then fill with StarSan solution for 5 minutes or bleach solution for 30 minutes and drain.
Glass carboys should not have a beer smell leftover after cleaning -- plastic buckets are harder because they are slightly porous.

Cool thanks, I scrubbed it some more and it seems good to go now. It really wasnt so much the carboy but the stopper. :) That was harder to get the smell out of but like you said its more porous.

Rubber is a pain to de-stink. Everybody that starts kegging learns to replace all of the gaskets or love soda-flavored beer.

Back