Just oxygenated my beer :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmg2800

Reaction score
I brewed a barley wine two weeks ago. Last night I was transfering to a seconday. I put a muslin bag on the end of my syphon to reduce sediment transfer. Well it put a restriction on the syphon. The syphon started sucking in and mixing lots or air with the beer. 2-3 gallons were probably aerated like this. Any thing I can do? How bad is oxygenated beer? Will aging reduce off flavors?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Home Brew mobile app

I think the word you're looking for is "Oxidized". Oxygenating is when you add oxygen to the work prior to pitching (and is a good thing). Oxidizing is when your fermenting beer is exposed to unwanted O2.

Aging will not reduce off-flavors if there are any, though I doubt there will be. Oxidized flavors typically take several months before they even surface.

Also, a big beer like a barelywine may not be hurt by oxidized flavors. These are beers that are meant for long-term aging. Long-term aging results in oxidization naturally.

RDWHAHB.

I would mix up a gallon or so of fairly strong wort.

Dump it in, let the yeast eat up the oxygen. It is the only way to be sure, and with an expensive beer, I would not want to chance it or hope to hide such a flaw.

Since I oxidized the beer it seems to have jump started the yeast again. The recipe also calls for an addition of champagne yeast. Will this take care of any oxygen? This what the beer looks like 12 hrs later.

Since I oxidized the beer it seems to have jump started the yeast again. The recipe also calls for an addition of champagne yeast. Will this take care of any oxygen? This what the beer looks like 12 hrs later.

Assuming this was high gravity, 2 weeks may not have been long enough in primary anyhow. More than likely you will get some secondary fermentation, which will then create another CO2 blanket. You are probably ok.

Latest posts

Back