"Just Outstanding" IPA clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm2bfree

Reaction score
It's from Kern River Brewing Company, has anyone tried it? I had a bottle over the last weekend, if your in SoCal they sell it at whole foods in HB. It is a just oustanding IPA!

I would love to find/make a clone of this.. I know the only hops are Simcoe and Amarillo, but that's all I know about it.. It was very citrus, orangey, fruity, with a light pine and had good but not overpowering bitterness to it..

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14064/35608/?ba=moosington

Unfortunately I don't.. I really can't find much information on this at all.. Last night I had a Just Oustanding IPA, then a Blind Pig IPA.. I have to say they don't taste far off.

The bitterness was a just a little more pronounced in the Blind Pig, so I'm guessing the JO was maybe 10 ibu's less??

Also, the Bling Pig was a little more pronounced with a higher citrusy/piney tang to it (excellent!!), the to JO was a little more floral/citrus tasting and lighter. It was a great IPA night, two fantastic brews..

I wish I had more on it, I'm going to send an email to the brewery, maybe they'll give a hint or two?? :)

Or find a way to ship one to me. :D

I checked their website and they're a pretty small operation. It will be few years (if ever) before they are distributing nationally.

Damn, I used to hate traveling to Cali for business. Thus, I made sure I would never have a need to.

Now it seems every beer I love or want to try is made in California. You bastards.:drunk:

Its a really nice beer. Nice balanced drinkable IPA. I served it at my bar for about 4 months and I would say that the beers profile is very similar to that of Racer 5, almost to the point I would make a Racer 5 clone which I know there are recipes out there for, but substitute the amarillo and simcoe in.

Anyone ever get a recipe for this? I would love to have something like this on the home taps.

I don't know either but I had it last week for the 1st time and I thought it was fab!! The place I got it from ran out so I couldn't bring any up north. So Blind pig tastes similar huh? Good to know, I can get that no problem. :fro:

I don't recall it being much like Blind Pig. It was different. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on it, I would be very interested. I wonder if it isn't just a scaled down malt bill of their Citra DIPA. Just listened to the Cab You Brew It podcast of them cloning that one.

I have from a good source that the grains in the beer are the following:
2 row, munich, cara-pils/dextrine, honey malt, white wheat malt and crystal 40.

Bittering is with Warrior hops, flavoring/aroma simcoe and dry hopped with simcoe/amarillo.

I have only been brewing 2 years and need some pointers on percentages of grain from more seasoned brewers. Does this look good for grains and hop additions given the above information? Too much Munich 10? Any constructive criticism would be helpful. In beersmith this gives me the right estimated ABV of 6.8%. (5.5 gallon batch) and IBUs @ 69 or so. This beer is said to be in the 70-75 IBU range so that should do it. Thoughts???

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 77.7 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.8 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.5 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.5 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 5 3.5 %
6.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.8 %
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 32.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 18.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 10.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 7.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

I've had Pliny and Blind Pig several times before I tried Just Outstanding. And the only times I had Pliny and Blind Pig again were when the store I got it from ran out of Just Outstanding. My fav beer by far! The only way that Racer 5 can be mentioned with Just Outstanding is the fact that it's an IPA. Gonna try Dog Fish Head 90 minute tomorrow. BeerAdvocate rates it as high as Just Outstanding.

I have from a good source that the grains in the beer are the following:
2 row, munich, cara-pils/dextrine, honey malt, white wheat malt and crystal 40.

Bittering is with Warrior hops, flavoring/aroma simcoe and dry hopped with simcoe/amarillo.

I have only been brewing 2 years and need some pointers on percentages of grain from more seasoned brewers. Does this look good for grains and hop additions given the above information? Too much Munich 10? Any constructive criticism would be helpful. In beersmith this gives me the right estimated ABV of 6.8%. (5.5 gallon batch) and IBUs @ 69 or so. This beer is said to be in the 70-75 IBU range so that should do it. Thoughts???

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 77.7 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.8 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.5 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.5 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 5 3.5 %
6.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.8 %
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 32.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 18.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 10.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 7.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs