Just need an answer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelz1

Reaction score
I just recently bottled my first all grain beer on Monday night, and it tasted just like the wort smelled during the boil! Taste like boiled hops to put it right.

Now this has been nagging at me for the past couple of days an I just want someone to clairify for me if I did something wrong. Did I add to much hops? Add them at the wrong times? Please tell if you see something that I did wrong or if you think it will turn out ok.

This is my own recipe that I came up with:

5lb Rahr 2 Row
5lb Rahr Red Wheat Malt
3lb Rahr White Wheat Malt

Strike water was 4.5 gal @ 170F added grains and had a mash temp of 154F for 60 minutes sparged with 4 gal of water and I ended with roughly 7 gal in my kettle for the boil.

I started the 60 min boil and added 1oz of Tettnang hops
15 minutes left added another 1oz of Tettnang hops

Chilled wort had OG of 1.042 (was shooting for 1.060)
Pitched White Labs Belgian Wit Ale WLP400 yeast at 75F (this is what I had on hand)
Primary for 15 days had a FG stay level at 1.004

I calculated about a 55% eff. of the mash which will be worked on for the next batches!

Thats hard to tell. Everything looks pretty good from what I see. What was your bottling/sanitary techniques?

Sounds like everything is OK to me, I don't think you added too many hops at all, personally I like hoppy beers so I would have had more but to me it all sounds ok

The carbonic acid from carbonation will change the taste too so just wait it out and it should be good

Time will tell. Let it carb for 3-4 weeks, then try. 15 days is too young to judge a beer. It should be fine.

This was kind of my thinking but I wanted clairification on it! I will open one in two weeks just to see if any change.

Sounds like everything is OK to me, I don't think you added too many hops at all, personally I like hoppy beers so I would have had more but to me it all sounds ok

The carbonic acid from carbonation will change the taste too so just wait it out and it should be good

I like hoppy beers too, but at the same time I didn't want to go over board for my first All Grain.

Youre probably more than good. No worries. Wait 2 weeks and try it, then again at 3 weeks. 2 days is way too soon.

What was your fermentation temp?

It was between 64F and 73F the day I bottled it my AC went out so when I bottled it I got a temp reading of 73F that is the highest that it went, if I had waited a couple more days I would have had to move it to a bath tub or something cause it took until today to get my AC fixed. Ok I guess I should have said 75 because of my pitching temp!

drinking flat beer with extra sugar, that is green to boot, is not giving you a very good indication of the final product. Buy some good commercial beer to last a couple weeks.

Just to let all you guy's know that I went out and bought some Sunshine wheat beer from New Belgium and it smells just like the one that I made and if it taste anything like it then I will be one very happy Homebrewer!!! I'm going to open one of mine up here in a week (that will make two total weeks in the bottle) just to see if the taste and smell have changed will keep you posted.

Thanks Shane

Maybe I'm just weird....but I love the smell of hops boiling....wish I could bathe in them every morning. Might become a single man overnight though.

Latest posts

Back