Just made this white ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angryyoungman

Reaction score
White ale/ white ipa/ wit ipa or whatever you want to call it. Really it's just a highly hopped hefe, i prefer to call it a white ale. I digress, just brewed this and wanted to know what you guys thought about it. Probably should have gotten some reviews before hand... Anyway, I do 1 gallon batches so that's why my measurements will be so small. This is brew came about because I had some left over hops wanted to use them before I brew anything else. And I love El Dorado and Amarillo hops.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs: Hefeweizen IV
Yeast Starter: Nope (Not necessary since it's only a gallon, really easy to hit great pitch rates haha)
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: N/A (I don't know yet, brew calculator estimates about 1.015
IBU: 30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 7-8

Ingredients:

12 oz German Wheat Malt (42.9%)
12 oz German Pilsner Malt (42.9%)
2 oz Caramunich II (7.1%)
1 oz Vienna Malt (3.6%)
1 oz Carmel/ Crystal 20L (3.6%)

.5 teaspoon* Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 60
.5 tsp Amarillo @ 30
.5 tsp El Dorado @ 15
.5 tsp Amarillo @ 10
.5 tsp El Dorado @ 5
.5 tsp El Dorado & 1 tsp Amarillo @ Flameout

Like I said this is a kind of a thrown together brew. The reason I measure hops in teaspoons is because my scale won't measure low enough. I brew small batches and I have a nifty teaspoon that fits hop pellets in nicely. For any interested it's about .083333 ounces per teaspoon. To scale up to a five gallon batch that's a little less than half an ounce. I chose the Hallertau for bittering hops because they're great bittering hops, very mild, I like the flavor profile and I had some. The El Dorado and Amarillo were used for flavoring and aroma because I just love them and had plenty. I used WLP380 because I can easily ferment right around 70 and get no banana, but plenty of spicy cloves and some citrus notes. I thought that might go well with the citrus of the hops. Anyway, I just heard about White IPAs and decided brew my own to my own tastes. Here it is, tell me what you think.

Back