Just made my first batch of hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damnsaltyham

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would try it as a good starter. Well see! I think I'm already hooked though.

1 gallon cider ( no preservatives)
1 packet Lalvin 71B-1122
Pinch of potassium meta and 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme

image-560246465.jpg

Made my first 2 gal. batch today as well. It's sitting next to my APA I've been fermenting since 9/24.

What's the potassium meta and pectic enzyme for?

Good question, the guy at our local shop said the potassium meta would kill any wild yeast and the pectic enzyme would keep it from getting cloudy. I am brand new to this so I just took his advice.

Good question, the guy at our local shop said the potassium meta would kill any wild yeast and the pectic enzyme would keep it from getting cloudy. I am brand new to this so I just took his advice.

Yes, that's true. But generally they aren't all added at the same time. A rule of thumb is that campden/k-meta/metabisulfite is added first to kill microbes, and then the pectic enzyme 12 hours later (it doesn't work as well with sulfites OR with yeast) and then 12 hours later, the yeast is added.

Wine yeast are very tolerant of sulfites, though, so you may not have any issues at all with adding them at the same time.

Hm, I used tree top pasteurized 100% apple juice, notice it does have ascorbic acid, but it didn't say if it had any preservatives in it.:confused:

The guy at my LHBS recommended Lalvin qa23 as a yeast, I guess we'll see how it turns out. I added clover honey and warmed with some apple juice to get an OG of 1.060.

Thanks for the insight Yooper, I'm still very new to this and have much to learn, that's why I came here! I'm excited to pick up more and more through you guys!

Jeff, I used Hansen's Natural apple cider. It is preservative free. I wanted to add other things but I thought I would just keep it simple this first go round and see how it turns out. I only bought the gallon jug, just going to drink it out of that this time and rack (I think that's the term) next time. Maybe even bottle some. Thanks for responding!

Thanks for the insight Yooper, I'm still very new to this and have much to learn, that's why I came here! I'm excited to pick up more and more through you guys!

Jeff, I used Hansen's Natural apple cider. It is preservative free. I wanted to add other things but I thought I would just keep it simple this first go round and see how it turns out. I only bought the gallon jug, just going to drink it out of that this time and rack (I think that's the term) next time. Maybe even bottle some. Thanks for responding!

As a rule, bottled ciders are pasteurized or otherwise treated so they don't need sulfites (although, using them anyway won't hurt). Using fresh cider without preservatives may mean that it has wild yeast and/or bacteria and so it's common to sulfite and then add the chosen yeast.

I made cider today, 2 gallons. I pressed two buckets of apples from our neighbors tree- it's tart and really good. I sulfited the cider in the vessel, and tomorrow I'll add my yeast (I'm using S04 ale yeast). I didn't add anything else at all, although it's common to add some tannin or sugar honey, or even pectic enzyme (to help it clear).

We just wanted a 100% "cider only" hard cider this time. The OG was 1.048.

Cider making can be as complicated or as simple as you want to make it. I went with simple this time, but in a few weeks I"ll be starting my crabapple wine and that's a lot more complicated with ingredients, steps, racking, etc.

Hey no problem brother, thank you! I'm just learning too so all the info I can get is golden.

I have a question for you guys! I am using a Buon Vino airlock, he didn't mention putting water in it nor is there a fill line but I've seen online people putting water in theirs. Is that only needed for beer and wine or do I need to do that for my cider as well?

I have a question for you guys! I am using a Buon Vino airlock, he didn't mention putting water in it nor is there a fill line but I've seen online people putting water in theirs. Is that only needed for beer and wine or do I need to do that for my cider as well?

I put sanitizer in mine like many others do, by filling it with liquid you ensure that only gas can escape and nothing else can enter.

Just fill it about 1/3 to 1/2.

Back