Just got two new high end kits...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwaybrewer

Reaction score
...its a milestone raspberry wheat and Festivals golden stag summer ale.

And im wondering if anyone has experience with the yeast that comes with the kit.

Is it worthless or can i use it and save 10$ on not getting a wlp.

Have you got a nice temperature range that woeks for these kits with the yeast that is included??

Really really appreciate your input on this, as these kits are really expensove in norway and i dont want my summer ale ending up at 1.025

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Home Brew mobile app

my only experience with munton's yeast was a too-sweet beer. it ended at 1.020 instead of 1.012 as expected. i wouldn't use it.

That is an expensive kit. In the ads the yeast amount or maker isn't given. I was looking through this forum for comments about the yeast. Didn't find any negatives as far as I went.
They do describe adding hops (dry hopping?) during active fermentation. CO2 production can scrub hop aroma and flavor from a beer.

Very good reviews.

This is the link I looked at:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=28720

I generally assume that yeasts that come with a kit have been stored under poor conditions. If you can get liquid yeast that might be best. If not there are in fact some dried wheat yeasts from Danstar, maker of Nottingham which is quite popular.

Does the yeast packet have a best by date? Also based on very rudimentary research people have stated that the raspberry extract can create off flavors. I would just make sure the syrup tastes good and fresh before adding. I would always be careful with these concentrated syrups

Petit Agentur probably has good yeasts, can't read that site though.

Liquid yeast will always be optimal over dry yeast.

Only problem with liquid yeast is most vials need a starter unless your SG is less than 1.050

Liquid yeast will always be optimal over dry yeast.

Only problem with liquid yeast is most vials need a starter unless your SG is less than 1.050

I don't usually quote posts and then say negative comments, but this statement simply isn't true. To make a statement like this is really uninformed, and imo, does a disservice to the new brewer. Both dry and liquid yeasts have their benefits and negatives. But to make a blanket statement of one always being optimal to the other is just simply not true.

So would it be somewhat ok if i just rehydrated the dry yeast and threw it in a highly aerated wort?? lot of hassle to get liquid yeast right now and i really want to get crackin!;) dont want to take more than a 20% risk that the yeast wont help me all the way to fg, though. Then i will wait for the liquid little guys to do a better job.

Thanks for your help and advice!

I would rehydrate per instructions on packet or the ones that came with the kit. If there are no instructions the below should be good.

Take yeast out of refrigerator before starting the process. Boil 1.5 cup spring or tap water (do not use distilled or reverse osmosis water), and allow the water to cool to around 95 F (33 C). Add yeast to 10x its weight of the warm water into a medium sized bowl. Do not add any sugar or malt extract to the yeast to proof it. I believe proofing was done in the past, but companies that make dry yeast work really hard to make the yeast store nutrients and adding sugar would make them use those nutrients up. Wait about 20 minutes WITHOUT STIRRING and only after 20 minutes stir gently with a sanitized spoon. Wait another 5 minutes. After this add small amounts of wort into the yeast bowl with sanitized spoon or measuring cup. As soon as temp of yeast solution is same as wort, you can pitch the yeast into the wort. Any temperature shock that the yeast encounters over 10 degrees Fahrenheit will result in poor fermentation or incomplete fermentation.

My sources are How to Brew by John Palmer and Danstar's website.

On a separate note, there are people on here who have reported success without rehydrating yeast at all and just pitching dried yeast directly into wort. Also with dry yeast aeration is less important as there are plenty of nutrients in the yeast, but I would aerate anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, this is just about to go down.

I usually boil my kits for 60 minutes. Does anyone know what this will do to the raspberry flavour in there?

Should i stay or should i go classic, just pouring water onto extract in the fermenter??

I could not find the instructions for Festival kits online. Did find a lot of excellent write ups for the Golden Stag in the forums. No one had mentioned not brewing by the instructions with the kit.
I would go the less risk route and brew according to the instructions which came with the kit.

Now its done! boiled it for 30 mins with 2.5 gallons water. Will add flavouring 24 hours before priming and bottling!

will let you know how it all works out

Back