Extract kit help stout maple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjr24

Reaction score
So guys, I got a free kit recently but was thinking about experimenting with it a bit. I was thinking about trying to add a bourbon maple syrup to it.

1.25 lbs English Roasted Barley
- 1 lbs English Dark Crystal
- 0.4 lbs Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee Malt
- 0.35 lbs English Chocolate Malt

- 6 lbs Gold Malt Syrup
- 2 lbs Golden Light dry malt extract
- 1 lb D-180 Candi Syrup (add at end of boil)

- 2 oz Nugget (60 min)
- 4 oz Peace Coffee Organic French Roast (0 min)
(Crush coarsely)
YEAST
- Dry Yeast: Safale S-04 Ale Yeast.

This is what I have in the kit I was thinking if switching out the candidate syrup with the maple syrup would work out.
This is my first stout so I don't really know the effects this would have on the outcome.

Any feedback would be great.
Cheers,

Should be interesting. Add the maple syrup into the fermenter after it starts going for a couple of days, otherwise you may lose quite a bit of the maple character. Coffee may also cover up the subtleties of the maple, so I recommend tasting it before adding the coffee into the fermenter, not in the boil as listed, or splitting the batch and transferring half of it onto the half the coffee for a couple of days before packaging and trying the other without it.

Should be interesting. Add the maple syrup into the fermenter after it starts going for a couple of days, otherwise you may lose quite a bit of the maple character. Coffee may also cover up the subtleties of the maple, so I recommend tasting it before adding the coffee into the fermenter, not in the boil as listed, or splitting the batch and transferring half of it onto the half the coffee for a couple of days before packaging and trying the other without it.

Yeah I was worried about the coffee in the first place was thinking about removing it from the recipe. Bit I can prob do the two separate batches too.

Do u thunk I should remove the Candi Syrup all together than and just substitute it with the maple syrup in the fermenter?

Do u thunk I should remove the Candi Syrup all together than and just substitute it with the maple syrup in the fermenter?[/QUOTE]

I'd keep it and drop the extract a bit, unless you want to boost the alcohol a few points. d-180 has some pretty specific dark fruit flavor additions that should pair well with maple. Other may not agree.

Back