Just got done brewing a Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivepointslow

Reaction score
I'm so damn tired right now. It's 1110pm and I started this brew at 5pm. Took a bit longer for setup plus i boiled 8 gallons of water son unwound have plenty of good water so that took time too. Took 4 gallons out and got the water down to 155 and stated my partial grain steap. Few hours later the smell is close to the taste of the Samuel Adams octoberfest I'm drinking. Got the OG to 1.055. Never knew how to meet the required OG until yesterday when I was reading on here so I feel proud right now.

Hoping to be drinking this around Columbus Day. Think it's possible?

Typically ferment in primary at 48-52 for 4 weeks, lager at 35-40 for 2 months or longer. It won't be ready until December. I brewed an Oktoberfest a month ago, it is named Novemberfest because that's when it will be properly ready.

I had my first pull tonight. 4 days less than a month after brew day. Was hoping for Sam Adams, but got more German style. Beginning to think I am not a fan of Vienna malt. Shame cause I have a whole unopned 55# sack of malt yet to brew with...

Typically ferment in primary at 48-52 for 4 weeks, lager at 35-40 for 2 months or longer. It won't be ready until December. I brewed an Oktoberfest a month ago, it is named Novemberfest because that's when it will be properly ready.

Isn't ale like 65-72? I'm using a ale yeast.

The Oktoberfest style is a lager (also called Marzen, for March). It was brewed early in the year and stored in cellars since it was too hot to brew well in the summer. Then (from what I understand) anything left would be served at harvest festivals and the like in September/October (coincidentally when beer could be brewed again).

So true-to-style Oktoberfests will be lagered and aged for a while. People on here have made Oktoberfest ales to great success though, for example check out OctoberFAST (it's the one I plan to make after a vacation, won't be ready until November but it's not that serious) in the Recipe Database under Amber Hybrid. You've already brewed but you can check out the ale yeast recommended and temperature guidelines and stuff.

Edit: I just checked and had to look up Columbus Day, but from the recipe you will probably be able to get it done in time if you keg (7 days primary, 21 "secondary") but you're cutting it close. If you bottle, there probably won't be enough time to bottle condition unless you cut a week off the "secondary" phase (I'm just going to leave it in primary). If you bottle, you probably won't be able to drink it until Halloween.

No bottles here. Will go into a keg. I was planning 2 weeks of primary and around 2 weeks of secondary. Then 48hrs of carb... My plans usually end up out the window.

You can try the fast lager method and not have to wait 3 months for the beer to be ready. You need full control over the fermentation temps if you plan on doing the fast lager method.

Back