Just got a comment on my beer that made my day...BTW BACON!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcera

Reaction score
So I brewed a Rauchbier, a smoked beer, about six months ago, and I brought the last two bottles to one of my local club meetings last week. It had aged REALLY well and was right on target. The guy that takes notes/writes our newsletter, a BJCP certified judge btw, sent out the newsletter today and the comment about my Rauchbier was

"Richard’s Rauchbier – authentic, like drinking smoked bacon"

I know with the love of bacon that is shown on this forum ya'll would like this. Too bad I'm out of it now. Oh well that’s the good part about home brew, I can always make more.

Just thought I would share

Skimming thru the New Posts list before going in to work this morning and saw your BACON tag and had to stop in! Great post and that would definitely make my day!

+1 on the recipe...

Looking forawrd to the recipe as well. I really enjoyed my first smoked porter last year and want to get another going for fall this year.

It was an extract brew where I smoked my own specialty grains and steeped them.

7.7 lbs of light malt extract
24 oz of Weyermann light Munich
8 oz of Weyermann Cara Munich I
1.5 oz Weyermann Dehusked Carafa I
24 oz Pale Malt

.3 oz Target bittering
.3 oz Tettnang flavor
.3 oz Hallertau flavor

White labs German Ale yeast cannot remember the number

I did a cold smoke on the 24 oz of pale malt with cherry wood for about 4 hours. I did soak the grains for about 30 minutes before I smoked them.

After I smoked the grains I steeped all of the grains in 2 gallons of water until it reached a boil. I then put the target in and boiled for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes I added the light malt extract and the flavoring hops and boiled for 15 minutes. Then I chilled it down with an ice bag and added it to my fermenter and topped it up to 5 gallons. It started out at 1.055 with 30 IBU's. If I remember correctly it finished at 1.015. This was back before I did a lot of things to improve my process, i.e. full boils, really good yeast starters, and much better notes.

By the way the spent grains made the most amazing spent grain bread.

Hope this helps.

Back