Just getting started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heresolong

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been making beer and cider for about twenty years, but always with store bought apple juice and none in the past five or six years. However, I have two apple trees and I end up throwing away most of the apples since there is only one of me. Only so much apple sauce, apple butter, apple jelly, and apple pie one person can eat or give away.

Decided to try some cider from my trees. I bought a Breville juicer and the other day cranked out about a gallon and a half each from the Gravenstein and the Jonagold apples in my back yard (at least that's what we think they are, not 100% sure as the trees were full grown 45 years ago when my neighbors moved in). The juicer generated a lot of "sludge" which I am skimming off and siphoning out as much of the juice as I can. This is cider in the old New England tradition, just plain old juiced apples, without pasteurization or filtration or any of that new fangled stuff.

I will be making one gallon with Nottingham Ale yeast and one with Safale S04 based on the reading I have done on the forum. I will be taste testing them both as fermentation progresses and, if needed will cold crash them to stop when they are to my taste.

I just wanted to stop by and say how much I enjoyed reading the articles here and how much I learned. I don't know if I have everything down but at this point I will be experimenting and adjusting as I go. It isn't like there is any chance I will run out of juice for experimentation so I'm really looking forward to playing around with what I have.

I'll keep you posted on how it comes out and what I do in the future.

Latest posts

Back