Just Finsished up my First Partial Mash...how did I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
4 lb Light DME
3.5 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.75 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)

0.75 oz Nugget [13.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (45 min)
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (15 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [6.10%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (0 min)

.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
.50 oz Glacier [5.60%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

this recipe was based on BM's outer limits IPA, mash at 159

5 Gallon batch
estimated OG=1.074 (Qbrew)

I think the place i ordered my grains from messed up on the munich malt, i ordered 1lb 12oz but on the bag it said 1.12 lbs. it was already premixed with all the other grains so i couldn't tell.

on to brewing. the formulas below i used from john palmers online book.

7.25lbs grains x 1.5 qt/lb = 2.72 gal for mash.
tw=(.2/1.5)(159-75)+159=170 for strike water in kettle.

i mashed in my kettle in a grain bag. now i use a digital temp cooking gauge and heated water to just over 170, brought inside to cool to 170. i just bought a turkey fryer to boil in and i checked the digital temp against the thermometer the turkey fryer came with, i never trusted the digital one. they both gave me a reading of 170, its harder to read the thermometer. when i added the grains and mixed, the digital thermometer never dropped below 161 the whole 60 minute mash, but the other thermometer read just a tad over 150 at the end of the 60 minutes, maybee 152, 153 hard to tell. i wasn't sure what it read when i started the mash. i wrapped the kettle in a towel and one over the top. stirred about 4-5 times in 60 minutes.

i then heated up 3.5 gallons of water to 170 and steeped grains for 10 minutes, then poured into turkey fryer. i measured just under 5 gallons and added water to 6 gallons, added 4 lbs DME and took a reading.

SG (gravity before boil) 1.060 cooled to 80 degrees. adjusted 1.062

at about 25 minutes i had boiled off almost a gallon, so i added a 1/2 gallon of water to the boil.

end of boil i brought the kettle inside and used my immersion wort chiller and got it down to somewhere around 80-85 degrees.

then i noticed it, there is a ****ing termite in my cooled wort. i have no idea if it got there in the boil, or after. is this going to kill my beer?

OG of the wort is 1.071 @ 85 degrees. adjusted 1.074. wort collected was a tad under my 5 gallon line. i estimate 4.85-4.9 gallons. i poured in most of the crap from the kettle, just a small hop residue was left.

so how did i do? can someone tell me what my efficency is? i used 75% in my formula.

my 2 concers are
1. termite in wort.
2. unsure about mash temp cause of crappy thermometer. can anyone suggest a good one to get?

Looks to be about 82% according to my math. Good job!

As for the termite, if he was in there during the boil I wouldn't worry, if not, I still wouldn't worry. You won't be able to tell until a few weeks from now anyway.

I use a ThermoWell from Atkins. Its a pricey bastard but its accurate within .06% but I also use a little instant read digital thermometer from walmart. Its made by Acu-Rite, its adjustable, cost me $7, and it reads pretty quick and accurate.

GODDAMN TERMITES!!

I wouldn't sweat it, I had some kind of beetle/June Bug thing take a drink from one of my brews as it was chilling w/no ill effects.

i guess ill find out in a couple weeks.
14 HRS after pitching s-04 and its chugging away :) its the one on the left. 60 min IPA on the right dryhopping!

img00633571974.jpg

Mmm delicious termite. I'd add a few for taste! I wouldn't worry too much, but your beer may be a bit on the sweet side due to mash temps.

ya the original recipe posted on here called for that, i think that was the intent. ive been wanting to make an ipa like that lately

Back