Just finished pitching the yeast for my first batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
I must say, the whole process was nervewracking yet fun at the same time. I'm a chem major, so I spend a lot of time in the lab making sure everything is precise...and my lack of precision at times with the whole process of prepping the wort made me go a bit crazy. After seeing how long it took to cool in the tub, I'm definitely going to invest in a chiller in the future. I made a few mistakes, however, and I'm curious how they may effect my first batch:

One, I decided to go with the kit instructions (for the most part) since they were pretty detailed and went along with what I had read in other places. Mainly for my first batch, I didn't want to experiment too much. The main difference in these instructions, however, was the fact that it said to add the bittering hops all at once...So I did. Everywhere else I've looked, people recommend adding them slowly over time. Will this do much to my brew? Also, I didn't get it ALL the way to fermenting temperatures before pitching, close to around 70, but I made sure it was nowhere near 80 (many have said pitching at 80+ is a no-no). When pouring my wort into previously boiled (but cooled) water in my fermenter, followed by aerating, I noticed a lot of foam start to build up. Is this cold break? I removed most of it, but decided to leave some. I was pretty clueless :drunk:. Anyways, I filled up my lock to the line with some vodka, and it's in the closet as we speak. I'm planning on picking up a hydrometer this weekend (since I decided it would be best to get one, mainly to make sure the primary fermentation is done, not so concerned about ABV at this point). Will I still be able to figure out if the primary fermentation is done without the original gravity?

Edit: Also, when I was pouring the wort into the fermenter, I let some of the bottom "sludge" get in there (before realizing I shouldn't be pouring it in)...hoping that's not too much of a problem?

Btw, I've found these forums to be awesome and wish to thank you all for all your help =)

The foam sounds like aeration from pouring in the wort onto the water.. Most of the time that is a bad thing but when you are finished boiling and about to add yeast, that is a very good thing. The yeast need oxygen to reproduce and that is what you want at the beginning of fermentation.

I would get the Hydrometer and not bother taking a reading for about 10-14 days. It will probably drop to around 1.012 or so. However the key is when it is no longer dropping, fermentation is done and you can consider racking to bottles.

Bittering hops are generally added at the beginning of the boil and left in for 60-90 minutes. Flavoring and aroma hops are put in in the last 15 minutes.

Sounds like you did a good job.

After a few batches, you will be doing it all without looking at directions..

Congratulations.

Ohhh ok, so I should LEAVE the foam next time? Because I took most of it out, left a decent top layer, but there was a lot more I could've left. I'm thinking about taking the reading after a week so I will know when to move to secondary fermentation, but I don't know how to tell when I should do that.

Sludge is not a problem, I have pitched the whole pot into the fermenter and it still came out fine. If you want to get away from the sludge either rack into the fermenter or go to secondary after a week or so.

you can tell when its done fermenting when you get a few of the same hydrometer readings within a couple days, if you dont know the SG im guessing that if you have it under 1.020 (if its high gravity = lots of fermentables, probably lower like 1.015 ) steady for a couple days its done. And the sludge will not be a problem if your siphon has one of them little knobs on the end, as opposed to just a hose sucking on the bottom

So it just started bubbling, and it's only been about 6 hours. Is this a good sign, bad sign, or completely normal?

So it just started bubbling, and it's only been about 6 hours. Is this a good sign, bad sign, or completely normal?

Good thing. Fast fermentation is typically a sign of healthy yeast. And healthy yeast make good beer.

Sounds like a successful first brew. And you were right not to "experiment" at all. I've been brewing for about two years and I've only done two of my own brews. One was good. One sucked. But all of the other 30 or so batches I've made have been other people's recipes and methods. And they've ALL been fantastic.

Stick to the rules until your feet are good and wet. Then once you feel like you have your basics down well enough (good sanitation system, understanding measurements, etc) then go ahead and get creative!

I must say, the whole process was nervewracking yet fun at the same time. I'm a chem major, so I spend a lot of time in the lab making sure everything is precise...and my lack of precision at times with the whole process of prepping the wort made me go a bit crazy. After seeing how long it took to cool in the tub, I'm definitely going to invest in a chiller in the future. I made a few mistakes, however, and I'm curious how they may effect my first batch:

One, I decided to go with the kit instructions (for the most part) since they were pretty detailed and went along with what I had read in other places. Mainly for my first batch, I didn't want to experiment too much. The main difference in these instructions, however, was the fact that it said to add the bittering hops all at once...So I did. Everywhere else I've looked, people recommend adding them slowly over time. Will this do much to my brew? Also, I didn't get it ALL the way to fermenting temperatures before pitching, close to around 70, but I made sure it was nowhere near 80 (many have said pitching at 80+ is a no-no). When pouring my wort into previously boiled (but cooled) water in my fermenter, followed by aerating, I noticed a lot of foam start to build up. Is this cold break? I removed most of it, but decided to leave some. I was pretty clueless :drunk:. Anyways, I filled up my lock to the line with some vodka, and it's in the closet as we speak. I'm planning on picking up a hydrometer this weekend (since I decided it would be best to get one, mainly to make sure the primary fermentation is done, not so concerned about ABV at this point). Will I still be able to figure out if the primary fermentation is done without the original gravity?

Edit: Also, when I was pouring the wort into the fermenter, I let some of the bottom "sludge" get in there (before realizing I shouldn't be pouring it in)...hoping that's not too much of a problem?

Btw, I've found these forums to be awesome and wish to thank you all for all your help =)

As far as all the hops at 60mins, this was right I would assume, if that's what the directions said. What kind of beer was it, how much hops and what did the directions say. IF you should have save some for later, your beer will now be more bitter (good/bad you decide.) Next time leave all the foam.
Yes you will be able to figure out if fermentation is done w/o an OG. The gravity will stop dropping for several days, at this point you know it's done. Now either transfer to a clearing tank (secondary) and wait a month to bottle, or wait a month to bottle. :D

Good sign. You want fermentation to start as quick as possible. 6 hours is pretty solid.

As far as all the hops at 60mins, this was right I would assume, if that's what the directions said. What kind of beer was it, how much hops and what did the directions say. IF you should have save some for later, your beer will now be more bitter (good/bad you decide.) Next time leave all the foam.
Yes you will be able to figure out if fermentation is done w/o an OG. The gravity will stop dropping for several days, at this point you know it's done. Now either transfer to a clearing tank (secondary) and wait a month to bottle, or wait a month to bottle. :D

Good sign. You want fermentation to start as quick as possible. 6 hours is pretty solid.

It's a nut brown ale. I don't know exactly how many hops were added, but it was a rather small amount, in an airtight sealed bag. The directions said to add the (strained) barley (the kit has me do a "mini mesh") once the boil is going, then bittering hops and dextrin (What's the dextrin for?), boil for 45, add aromatic, boil for another 5. I ended up boiling the aromatic for closer to 10 (got distracted), so all in all it came to about an hour of boiling. What exactly is the foam when aerating?

And, you really think I should let it sit in the secondary tank for a good month? I was planning on about two weeks, then bottling, then letting it sit for another few weeks.

It's a nut brown ale. I don't know exactly how many hops were added, but it was a rather small amount, in an airtight sealed bag. The directions said to add the (strained) barley (the kit has me do a "mini mesh") once the boil is going, then bittering hops and dextrin (What's the dextrin for?), boil for 45, add aromatic, boil for another 5. I ended up boiling the aromatic for closer to 10 (got distracted), so all in all it came to about an hour of boiling. What exactly is the foam when aerating?

And, you really think I should let it sit in the secondary tank for a good month? I was planning on about two weeks, then bottling, then letting it sit for another few weeks.

It sounds like you did fine with the hops. Following the directions usually works well.
The foam is just foam from pouring a viscous sugar solution violently into a bucket. Don't worry about it.

Two weeks will work, but I like to let my stuff sit for awhile. Everything turns out better. And since this is your first you probably wont do that, but you'll learn in time.

Well, I'm going to leave it in the 2nd for two weeks...but not at my own will :p

The fermenter is actually at my house at college, and I'll be gone for spring break, so I guess in a way it's better. But maybe I should cut it short, and learn my lesson now to get it over with :p

Anyways, I gave in and decided to go for a hydrometer and wine thief. Would there be any point in taking the gravity now, 24 hours (and lots of bubbling/foaming) later, to attempt to determine the ABV? I can't really do a theoretical determination since I don't know exactly how much of what was used in the kit. Or is there any other way?

Also, the thief instructions say to put the beer back in the fementer after measuring, is this a good idea, or slightly risky in terms of contamination?

Right, that's what I thought. The kit gives an estimated OG of 1.045, so I think I'm just going to give a ballpark estimate of the final ABV off of that. When should I move to secondary though? The kit instructions say below 1.016, but other places say when the gravity doesn't change for 3 days...

Go with constant gravity for 3 days or at least 2... besides it may be around 1.016 and if not, and its like 1.023, then worry, but i'm sure it will be fine.

After seeing how long it took to cool in the tub, I'm definitely going to invest in a chiller in the future.

I had the same problem with my first batch...it took forever for my wort to chill. If you don't want to invest in a chiller, you could try covering and chilling the wort in an ice water bath in the kitchen sink, rather than the tub, and just drain the water as it warms up around the pan and keep filling the sink with cold water every few minutes.

It takes a little bit of ice (because it melts quickly when the warm stock pot gets in there,) but when i tried it for the batch i'm working on now, it chilled in no time.

I had the same problem with my first batch...it took forever for my wort to chill. If you don't want to invest in a chiller, you could try covering and chilling the wort in an ice water bath in the kitchen sink, rather than the tub, and just drain the water as it warms up around the pan and keep filling the sink with cold water every few minutes.

It takes a little bit of ice (because it melts quickly when the warm stock pot gets in there,) but when i tried it for the batch i'm working on now, it chilled in no time.

You know, that's a pretty good idea. I should've thought of that before...much more efficient than the bathtub. Definitely a good tip for next time, thanks =)

Latest posts

Back