Just drank a beer I brewed in 2005!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusMax

Reaction score
I started homebrewing some time in 2005 (I don't have very good records that far back). In October of that year I made a "Barley Nog" I called my "Holid-Ale". It was my 7th batch, and only the second one I actually have any notes from. Here's the recipe:

http://www.hvhomebrewers.com/recipes/brew/barlynog.html

I made it with the Celestial Seasonings tea, and subbed out the Cascades for Nugget and Willamette. This was also my first brew using my wort chiller, which I'm still using today (in fact, as I'm writing this now).

It fermented from 1.075 down to 1.015, using a repitch of WLP001, according to my notes. (Wow, I have no recollection of doing any repitching, let alone using liquid yeast that long ago!) I think I used the entire cake but i really don't recall.

It turned out OK, but was never really my favorite - the cinnamon apple spice
tea isn't really that great in a beer. It gives it a weird sort of sweetness that's not altogether pleasant. I ended up giving a bunch of it to my brother who seemed to like it quite a lot.

I brewed moderately often and pretty consistently all the way through till late 2007, when my third child was born. I did a total of 26 batches from 2005-2007, which I think is pretty respectable for a fairly casual homebrewer.

I took a multi-year hiatus from brewing after that, but I still had a lot of bottles of various stuff left in the back of my furnace room (not a great place, but that's all I had to work with). I had one entire batch go sour, and my labels all fell off, so I sort of stopped drinking my homebrew.

This year I really got back into homebrewing (55 gallons so far this year!), and I needed more bottles, so I started cracking open the old stock (I moved it all to my new house 20 months ago). I dumped out 2-3 cases worth of beer that had mostly gone sour - some tasted sort of cidery (lacto?), and a few tasted like straight up malt vinegar. While I was doing this, I found a couple bottles of the Holid-Ale that I saved, since I knew for sure what it was.

With some trepidation, I cracked one open and poured it into a glass. It didn't *smell* sour.... Took a sip, and it was good! The cinnamon spice was still present giving it that weird sweetness, not quite offset by the very slight hop bitterness. Not much head (I don't think there ever was). I got a fair bit of roasted grain flavor, which is quite puzzling since I don't exactly know where that would have come from - it was basically just Crystal Something and LME. All in all not bad, certainly no worse than many winter beers I've tried. I think there are two bottles left... I'll probably drink the soon. I don't think it's going to improve any more from here!

I've also a box of aged reserve. Had some from 2007 a few nights ago; about 6 years old. I think 8 years old is the oldest I've drank.

Most of them have aged well. One had less flavor than I remember and one, yeah, bad. It tasted like cheap wine gone bad. That was one of the 07s.

I just started putting away all grains in late 2011, so no idea of extract vs ag on aging.

We often talk about giving it time. Off flavors will subside. I'll say, to a point. There's a place past that point that really sucks. And some flavors, like too much ginger, they don't go away. Haven't for me.

Funny that I found this thread today. Last night I was searching high and low for my carboy stopper and airlock, and as I rummaged thru some bottle boxes I found 3 bottles of a mexican pilsner I bottled 1.5 years ago! Thought that batch was long gone...

I put it in the fridge and will crack it open today or tomorrow when I make my pale ale. I don't anticipate any problems but you never know.

Zuljin said:
Mexican pilsner? Sounds interesting.

Actually tasted good. Weak head but I remember that happened when it was fresh. Drank it tonight as I bottled my recent porter, and saved one (the very last!) for tomorrow as I brew my pale ale.

Wished I had that much patience.

This^... I've only been brewing for 4 months and I know where every single bottle of my beer is. Although I do have a small house so I'm limited on storage space.
I can't wait to have so much beer that I find "mystery" bottles from time to time.

Wished I had that much patience.

Same here until my pipeline got WAAAAY ahead of my drinking ability. I've finally gotten to where I have 5 gallons each of Xingu and Chimay that have been aging for a couple of months.

Also, on a good/bad note; I "lost" my 2 gallons of Best Bitter for over a month and was freaking out, when I finally gave up and went to bottle some other beer to find that those "empty" bottles over there, were actually my full bottles of Best Bitter. HOORAY!

I've been working super hard to fill up my pipeline because I always give into the temptation to drink (or at least sample a few bottles) of my brews too soon. I just bought one new fermenter (a cheapy 5-gallon food-grade bucket from Lowes) for doing 3-4 gallon batches, and I'm going to get another 6.5 gallon bucket fermenter. I've been having way too much fun making lagers, since ales don't really need as much attention, but lagers sure do slow down the pipeline! I have a semi-spare fridge (not temp controlled, it's also used for food) in which I can fit 2 buckets for lagering, and a Cool Brewing bag to do my primary fermentation.

I need to figure out how to "lose" some of my homebrew to let it age...

I've been working super hard to fill up my pipeline because I always give into the temptation to drink (or at least sample a few bottles) of my brews too soon. I just bought one new fermenter (a cheapy 5-gallon food-grade bucket from Lowes) for doing 3-4 gallon batches, and I'm going to get another 6.5 gallon bucket fermenter. I've been having way too much fun making lagers, since ales don't really need as much attention, but lagers sure do slow down the pipeline! I have a semi-spare fridge (not temp controlled, it's also used for food) in which I can fit 2 buckets for lagering, and a Cool Brewing bag to do my primary fermentation.

I need to figure out how to "lose" some of my homebrew to let it age...

Just put em up in a closet and don't drink them until either A) You move or B) A major life event like a birth, a death, a marriage, or a divorce.

I call it "house beer" or "moving beer." I got the idea from these forums a long time ago.

This all gets harder when you start kegging....

....until, I assume, you have far too many kegs. I'm getting there - there's 5g of pineapple wine in one, and a RIS in another (half full... and awesome now, a year later -- it's going to NHC). I also have a couple low ABV ones that are always on tap. Those and StarSan took care of my 5 kegs.

The 4 "new" kegs I got for half price (Midwest Christmas special) haven't even been cleaned out yet! (Waiting for warmer weather ;) )

With sours going into my pipeline now, I'm going to be filling and bulk-storing kegs sooner than later.

I found a box full of beer not to long ago mysel it was only three months old but still a great find.

Latest posts

Back