Just curious, what temp do you guys bottle condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
I've been conditioning at 68-70 but have been wondering if raising the temp to 72-74 would be better. Thanks for replies!

It won't make a difference. We basically just bottle condition at "room temp" realizing if it's above 70 it will be around three weeks or so and if it's below 70 it may take longer.

It's just a yeast process, and it's all about the yeast being in an active range, and doing their own thing. The cooler the slower, warmer the (slightly) faster, but you don't want to go too hot or you might get off flavors like if it was in a 90 degree attic.

:mug:

I've read that one should condition at room temp, within reason. I have just recently installed a mini-split in my man-cave/xbox room/music studio so that room can accomedate my bottles since it's around 76-ish degrees consistently. It's nice because now I don't have huge boxes of bottles taking up space in my house. The colder you go, the longer it takes to carbonate. I've seen guys that have put some bottles in a fridge to condition, but they don't drink them for 8 weeks+.

Room temp here in an un-air conditioned house in Hawai`i can range during the summer anywhere from 75 and night to like 90 during the day. I'm forced to condition in a fridg set at 70.

The colder you go, the longer it takes to carbonate. I've seen guys that have put some bottles in a fridge to condition, but they don't drink them for 8 weeks+.

Since fridges are set below 50 it would be nearly, if not totally impossible for beer to carb at that temps.... How would the yeast consume the sugar and produce co2 to carb the beer.... when they're asleep?

Since fridges are set below 50 it would be nearly, if not totally impossible for beer to carb at that temps.... How would the yeast consume the sugar and produce co2 to carb the beer.... when they're asleep?

Except lagers. I carb my lagers from 6 down to 4 C.

I condition at room temp 70F usually with no issues (except this one black IPA that won't carb)

so far, and I'm a massive novice here, I found that the first week seems to be critical on temp - if I can keep my first week to 62-64F (17C) I get a good brew no matter what yeast I'm using

when I hit 20C+ in first week it was nail polish

Latest posts

Back