Just cracked my stovetop...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewing again this morning on the new stove... wish me luck. hopefully it will go without cracks...

split the salvaged wort into two 2 gal SS pots. Shattered IPA in the works as we speak

I suggested the towel idea. I boiled 3 gals of top off water on a glass stovetop the other night for about 15 minutes to remove carbonate and to sanitize. I used some binder clips attached to the top of the kettle to keep the towel off the stove surface and didn't have any problems with the towel catching on fire. However, I'll be brewing this weekend and report back. Do a thread search for "improved stovetop boiling" for ways to insulate your pot. I'm upgrading to a turkey fryer once I (hopefully) recieve my xmas gifts so this will be a moot issue for me :D.

I brewed two batches this weekend and use a big towel to insulate my pot. I just wrapped the pot and attached it to the top with binder clips, making sure the towel was ~1" from the stove surface. I boiled 3.5 gallons pretty easily and I don't have completely flat bottomed pot. Hope this helps.

Back