Just burned through another CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
In less than a week, actually in the last 24 hours I went from 600lbs of pressure to nothing, the tank is empty.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where the airleak is.

This is getting expensive.

Its a frig with a tap. One line coming from the CO2 tank to a T split with a hose off one end and a cap on the other. Used plumbers tape on the connectors to make sure no leaks. The line going into the frig goes to a T split as well, a cap on one and the other line to the keg, the keg has a line to the tap.

All connectors were sealed with plumbers tape but apparently that's one working either, or we have a leak in a line.

You can find pinhole leaks by submerging in water. I found a couple that bust baaaaaaarely had anything coming out, but a definite leak that I'd have never seen with a spray bottle. The REAL leaks I was looking for were obvious. Probably wouldn't submerge the regulator, though I'm not really sure that would hurt it if you dried it out.

+1 for the Starsan, worked for mine several months ago. Also go through and just tighten everything gently for good measure.

I would use the spray bottle spray everything. check around the gauges on the regulator and the release valve I have had a slow leak

Like others said, Star San and spray bottle. If I had only one keg hooked up, I would get rid of the tees and run a single line to the tank.

and don't forget to check your keg... both posts, around the fill hole, pressure release valve... all of it. After I went through a bottle and fixed all my gas lines, a couple keg changes later I lost another bottle of co2 due to a keg not sealing. Now I check every keg I hook to co2.

You said plumbers tape. You are not supposed to use this on hose barbs, just threaded fittings. like everying said, spray soapy water on everything and the leaks will bubble.

Put some pressure in the regulator and close it off. Then close the tank pressure. You can then deduce wether it's the keg or the regulator. Also, check the regulator blow off valve.

fork said:
You said plumbers tape. You are not supposed to use this on hose barbs, just threaded fittings. like everying said, spray soapy water on everything and the leaks will bubble.

I didn't use it on barbs all the connectors are threaded

I just went through the same thing. Did everything to find the leak. Finally found it this weekend by happenstance. Was the check valve on the distributor. The valve had a leak at the "handle" portion. Been on a full tank still this week. Hoping that was the whole issue.

Well I am taking the tank over to Select Drink tomorrow to have it refilled. I will test the lines next week after I get back from a mini vacation visiting my wonderful daughter in Minneapolis!!!!

Your using threaded (MFL) fittings? Do you have the washers installed for them? The keg connections usually have them built in but any metal to metal MFL fittings need the washers. If they are flare fittings, your not supposed to use plumbers tape.

Well found my air leak. On the regulator is the barb connector that has an on and off valve, even with it in the off position its still losing air so I'm thinking that once the line is pressurized its back pressure is leaking through the hose connector, or through the barb connector itself.

Now I just have to find someone with the part so I can replace it.

Back