Just brewed my first batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capable74

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch. And it's been 24 hrs and there's no bubbling in my aerator?

Did you put the yeast in?
Seriously, you'll need to provide a little more on what you did between the end of the boil and where you are now (Including temps)

Fermentation sometimes takes a while to get going.

Yes I did add yeast. As soon as I got the temp down to 78 with a wort chiller I put it in the bucket and pitch the yeast, it was dry yeast right out the pack. I know I should have rehydrated the yeast( I've read) but a buddy of mine hasn't had any trouble adding it dry?

Its called an airlock. Sometimes the buckets don't seal properly. Although Mine have never had a problem. I use brewers best buckets. If the buckets don't seal, then the co2 escapes where it can find a "hole".

The lid is on tight that's not it. I was wondering if I should add more yeast?

Visible signs of fermentation can take a couple days. Relax. If it hasn't started fermenting after day 3 or 4, then you can add more yeast.

I also just read an article that says that the viability of yeast is cut in half when you don't rehydrate before pitching it. That would mean that it would take longer for fermentation to start. Give it some time.

Visible signs of fermentation can take a couple days. Relax. If it hasn't started fermenting after day 3 or 4, then you can add more yeast.

I also just read an article that says that the viability of yeast is cut in half when you don't rehydrate before pitching it. That would mean that it would take longer for fermentation to start. Give it some time.

Honestly, I have not had different lag times between dry or re-hydrated yeasts. There are a lot of reasons for that. Some batches just take longer. Go to bed and when you wake up, you will probably have "visible" signs of fermentation.

I would just let it sit for a while. If no fermentation by Thursday, then consider repitching.

hello,

i'm brewing all grain from the get go.....my first i sprouted and malted my own wheat but broke so many sanitation rules i was frankly a little scared when tasting my beer.....my second attempt was an all grain brown ale but ran out of money and didn't bottle but it had good flavour...i'm now brewing a multi grain breakfast stout and messed up the boil volume but we will see when the 75 min boil timer goes off where i'm at.

well believe it or not i managed to get my 1 gallon size done in 75mins....i also cooled by displacement meaning i poured from one container to the other both of which were sterile. i then finished of the final 10 degrees with sanitized ice packs. however, i did use two pots to boil as i knew i needed to reduce my liquid an awful lot.

i'm gonna post a recipe in the relative section (stouts)...maybe not since you need to have completed the recipe....

so here it is

my first recipe post

1.5# am. pale
4oz chocolate
2oz patent black
2oz crystal 80
1.5 Gal Water
mash in = 164f
mash range = 148f - 158f at 45 minutes
1oz each rye, barley, oats, wheats (all flaked) at 15 mins
2oz caramel pearl barley at 40 mins
no sparge
1.5oz fuggles at boil for 75 mins split in 2 pots
aerated between 2 pots to 80f
pitched 1 tsp Windsor British Style Beer Yeast at 78f

i find a lot of cloning of beers..i just want to create new ones

Brewtah said:
Honestly, I have not had different lag times between dry or re-hydrated yeasts. There are a lot of reasons for that. Some batches just take longer. Go to bed and when you wake up, you will probably have "visible" signs of fermentation.

Checked it around 8am No bubbling, checked it again around 11am. Bubbling like crazy...thinks for all the advice.

I checked it at 8am no bubbling. Checked again around 11am bubbling like crazy! Thanks for all the advice...

Back