Just brewed my first batch with grains. Messed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DatBrew

Reaction score
Have a 5 gallon pot and brewed with straight grains, poured in to the carboy and only had one gallon of brew lol. Where did I screw up?? I put more water in the grains again and boiling more right now to get as much out as I can, can I just fill the rest with water?

Have you read any materials on how to brew beer?

Sounds like you just put grains in a pot and boiled them in water, then dumped the water into a carboy. That's not quite how it's done. Will wait til you clarify...

You're boiling the grains in the water?

That would be your issue. Grains are mashed to extract the sugars, the grains are removed, then the resultant wort is boiled. In super simple terms.

How many pounds of grains did you use? What was your target batch size? What is your starting gravity reading, what was your target starting gravity?

Google "How to Brew" by John Palmer. It's free but seriously out of date. Pickup a couple other books and give them a read through to give you an idea of the basics. Brewing is pretty easy once you understand the basic process. I'm not sure what you're doing is drinkable.

Not really clear on what your desired batch size is. I am assuming with a 5 gallon brewpot you would be limited to a 2.5-3 gallon range.

5 gallons is the desired out come, yah last time I just used a malt extract, and that worked out fine, so I didnt really think about the whole grains ordeal, I think I used like 5 pounds.

I have read materials and watch some videos on how to brew as well, I guess I just misunderstood something lol.

5 gallons is the desired out come, yah last time I just used a malt extract, and that worked out fine, so I didnt really think about the whole grains ordeal, I think I used like 5 pounds.

I have read materials and watch some videos on how to brew as well, I guess I just misunderstood something lol.

Yeah, definitely much different.

This will give you a very simple idea of the easiest way to get into all grain brewing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

...........................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`............/
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`.........._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/.....}
...........((.....*~_ .......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

I found it easier starting out in all grain brewing with a well designed kit that comes with a detailed outline of what is needed for equipment, step by step instructions, water volumes, temperatures etc... so there are no big surprises during the process. Being limited to doing a boil in a 5 gallon pot, or else needing to use a stovetop, I would for example plan to split the ingredients exactly in half and do two separate brewdays and then end up with my 5 gallon batch in two 3 gallon carboys.

If you actually boiled the grains. It most likely cannot be fixed. You will have severe off flavors. You could take a gravity reading, If it is really high you could dilute it with top up water. Give it a taste. It should taste sweet. If tastes good you could continue, if not, probably dump it.

Read up and good luck on your next brew.

Back