Just brewed after a year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohanski

Reaction score
I finally brewed yesterday for the first time in about a year and I might have a problem but not sure. I used some grain and dry yeast that is about a year old but the experation date on the yeasy is 2013. This morning it had started but it wa not bubbleing very much and there was only about 1/4" of krausen.
Could the yeast have been too old?

I think you are fine. What kind of yeast and what beer are you brewing. Sounds like a good start!

The air lock is not a gage. Its just and indicator.

I checked it yesterday ant it picked up alot. I believe the yeast was safale. It is a sierra nevada clone.

Was this a 04 or 05. If it is, its not a very aggressive yeast. After a couple of days the krausen will even disappear with this yeast. Do not be alarmed it is still fermenting.

I think it was 04. When I started using this yeast I noticed it didn'd get after it as other yeasts I've used in the past, but this one was the worst. And you are right, the krausen doesn't last very long. Should I use another yeast because I noticed my last couple of batches using this yeast was a little sweeter which I didn't care for. I just thought I might have mashed them a little hotter.

This yeast seems like it is finished and stalls a bit, but it will pick up again. Just give it a little extra time. If you mash hotter then it will be sweeter and more malty. A lower mash will give you a drier beer. What was your final gravity on your last batch and what was expected final gravity?

What I love about this yeast is that it has high flocculation. Try wyeast whitbread as a substitute. IT is a liquid yeast in a smack pack.

Back