Juniper berry with hops in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madj42

Reaction score
I have Northern Brewers RyePA extract kit in the primary fermentation stage right now and was planning on adding juniper berries into the secondary like a dry hop. I was also planning on adding amarillo and palisade hops to the dry hop. I'm wondering if the juniper would counteract the taste from the two hops I'm using. I'm also looking for some guidelines or recommendations on how much juniper to use.

Thanks for any advice.

I've never added them to secondary whole. For my holiday beer, what I've been doing is to roughly crush the berries and then soak them (and my other spices) in some everclear (150 proof) for 5 days, then I filter out the bits and add the everclear to the beer a few days before kegging.

I haven't got the amount dialed in yet. Started at 2 oz - too much! 1 oz was pretty good, but still a little too strong. I'm thinking about 0.5 oz this year.

Now this is for my method. The amounts might change if you use them directly

Back