Jumping into All Grain and brewing for my wedding! Would love some help with equipment decisions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facticity

Reaction score
I've been brewing extract for a couple years and since I am getting married in June, I think it's a great opportunity to finally buy my AG equipment and affordably provide an open bar for our guests.

After a lot of searching online I've found Ontario Beer Kegs consistently has the lowest prices in Canada, even considering shipping, surprising since I'm on the opposite side of country. So everything listed is from their website. If you know of a better/cheaper Canadian supplier let me know.

The basic plan is 5 gal full boil batches, outdoors with propane, mashing in a square cooler with a brew bag for filtration and simple batch sparge if required. Gravity transfer, using a homebuilt wooden cart.

[Kettle,](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Gra...ess_Steel_Pot_p/10gal-mashking-adv-kettle.htm) which will need holes drilled for a [weldless ball valve](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Sta...or_Brew_Pot_p/3-pc-ss-weldless-spigot-kit.htm) and possibly a [thermometer](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Sta...ermometer_2_Probe_p/weldless-therm-2-inch.htm) although I have read that they're not that useful on a kettle. I use the whirlpool method to clear trub, and am thinking a [simple dip tube](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Every_Drop_1_2_Dip_Tube_p/every-drop-1-2-dip-tube.htm) rather than a screen or dam.

[The BC SQ14](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Bayou_Classic_SQ14_Burner_p/sq14.htm) apparently only comes with a 5psi regulator. Is this sufficient? I've read it isn't, so I'll get a [10psi upgrade](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Bayou_Classic_10_PSI_Regulator_Hose_p/bayou-10-psi-reg-hose.htm) if need be.

Mash tun is a [48qt Coleman chest cooler,](https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/coleman-48-qt-hinged-lid-cooler/6000016951731) I've read that the chest style is more flexible than the tall cylindrical style because it grants more room for larger beers. Question here; does the ball valve assembly need anything unique to fit a cooler? What is the difference between the ["Cooler Kit"](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Sta..._Kit_Spigot_p/3-pc-ss-weldless-cooler-kit.htm) and the [other 3-piece assembly](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Sta...or_Brew_Pot_p/3-pc-ss-weldless-spigot-kit.htm) that I have chosen for my kettle? For the bag I've chosen the [Mashed In cooler bag](https://www.mashedin.beer/products/custom-cooler-biab?variant=1145233649) which is a poly voile comperable to the Brew Bag but made in Canada with free shipping for me.

I want to buy bulk grain so a mill is needed, and $100+ seemed steep so I'm considering [this victoria grain mill.](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Victoria_Grain_Mill_p/victoria-grain-mill.htm) I'm sure its slow, but if there's any other reason I shouldn't throw my money away on this let me know.

OBK has a [25' 3/8" copper immersion chiller kit](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/DIY_Immersion_Chiller_Kit_25ft_p/diy-immersion-chiller-25-kit.htm) for a good price. From what I've read I shouldn't really need a 50' chiller for 5 gal brews, but I am planning to use 1/2" hoses and fittings in my brewery and im wondering if this kit can be made compatible, or if I'm better off visiting the hardware store and doing it myself.

I am going to find a Thermapen somewhere for my thermometer. I am planning to pay attention to my water profile and make adjustments as necessary, but do I really need to drop $60 on a [pH meter](https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Hanna_Instruments_Checker_pH_Meter_p/ph-meter-checker.htm) or can I use strips to get equal results?

I am also planning a chest freezer based fermentation chamber for lagers, but that's for later. And most everything else I already have from my extract brewing days.

So, any advice from the community? Anything you'd add to the list?

My brewing rig includes one of almost every item on your list. I did switch from a rectangular cooler and a bag to a round cooler with a screen after a few batches. I've found opening a valve to be easier than wrestling a bag and the round cooler maintains temperature better than the chest type did.

My only other comment would be that I feel sorry for you poor folks north of 49. You really get hosed on the cost of consumer goods. My boil kettle appears to be identical to the one you have selected. I paid $70 US 4 or 5 years ago. With GST, PST and an 80 cent dollar, yours will cost almost double, in US funds, what mine did.

Oh, and if you want to stock an open bar for a June wedding, you better get your ass in gear and start brewing. :cool:

Mark

My brewing rig includes one of almost every item on your list. I did switch from a rectangular cooler and a bag to a round cooler with a screen after a few batches. I've found opening a valve to be easier than wrestling a bag and the round cooler maintains temperature better than the chest type did.

My only other comment would be that I feel sorry for you poor folks north of 49. You really get hosed on the cost of consumer goods. My boil kettle appears to be identical to the one you have selected. I paid $70 US 4 or 5 years ago. With GST, PST and an 80 cent dollar, yours will cost almost double, in US funds, what mine did.

Oh, and if you want to stock an open bar for a June wedding, you better get your ass in gear and start brewing. :cool:

Mark

He didn't say what year he will be getting married, just that it would be in June.:D

So, any advice from the community? Anything you'd add to the list?

Remain single?,

Is your fiancé cool with your increasing brewing addiction? Once you start down the rabbit hole it can become all consuming. Best to make sure she is cool with it before you go all in. The forum is littered with posts about being able to brew more before getting married.

As for the brewing aspect. I would definitely recommend doing a few smaller batches at first. This will help you establish baselines...grain absorption, boil off, mash efficiency, brew house efficiency, etc. once you get these numbers, it will be much easier to adjust your recipes and scale up.

Then decide how much beer you will need and how many styles. ( I would advise against high ABV beers at an open bar) Then practice practice practice, on both the recipe, and the serving set up. Also, make sure you train somebody on the dispensing side, until they are every bit as familiar with the system as you are, and can solve any problems that may arise without getting you involved. It’s your wedding night, the last thing you need to do is be dicken around with a draft system that isn’t working.

Lastly, having brewed for many events, the most important thing is have fun. It is great to see everyone partaking in your beer, enjoying it, and lavishing you with praise, but if you turn it in to an ultra high stress activity on an already stressful day, it will frazzle you not matter the amount of smoke being blown up your rear. At that point, it’s probably better to just go commercial.

I would recommend having a bbq or some other get together where you can serve an offering prior to the big day. This will allow you to work out any bugs, take notice, and improve your system/process in a relatively stress free environment.

I currently brew with a setup that matches what you're looking at. Not the same brands and such, just the same approach. A couple thoughts (these might bump up your costs by a $100 or so, but better stuff IMO). Also, I don't know how hard it is to get stuff in Canada, so maybe these aren't an option.

First, for your kettle, I despise weldless fittings. I picked up a brewbuilt 10 G kettle with two ports from MoreBeer for $200 shipped. I got a thermometer for $15 and I love having a thermometer on the kettle.

For a burner, I would go with a Bayou Classic KAB4. Same price as the one your looking at, but much better burner with about 4 times the BTU's.

Finally, I would choose either a brew bag or wilser bag. I'll post more shortly. Have to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going all grain? Cool.

Only recommendation, get brewing so you have a few brews under your belt with the new equipment and you are comfortable with the process prior to making anything you plan on serving to folks. It will also help you avoid very possible pitfalls. (i.e. pale malts and DMS, not getting good crush and getting bad extract values, stuck mash, etc.)

You get more beer out of it of course, but it is all in the name of process improvement. :)

I'd move a chest freezer/fermentation chamber higher up on your list. It does make a big difference.
Regarding the other stuff, you don't need a thermometer attached to your kettle, and I'd choose the round cooler over the rectangular one for a mash tun, but that's just my preference.
A decent grain mill is well worth the money.
I'm thinking you should shoot for having SOME homebrew at your wedding, but don't plan on supplying all the beer, buy some commercial beer as well.

I don't know if Spike ships to canada but the just listed a bunch of welded 10 gallon kettles in their bargain cave

@madscientist451 makes a very good point. From a quality beer perspective, I think fermentation temperature control, yeast starters and water profile management were the heavy hitters in making quality beer for me. I got a 5 cf freezer from best buy for $140 and a $35 inkbird from amazon.

That being said, some of the other things are must haves if going to AG. I strongly recommend that you read up on water chem and invest in Brun'water. It's been spot on for me with respect to pH, which is important for all grain brewing.

In continuing with my previous post, for the brew bag, I'd invest in a ratcheting hoist. I mash in a bag in my cooler, then lift it up with a hoist to drain first and second runnings. The Hoist was about $25.

For the cooler, I did a coleman similar to yours. I picked up a premium long bulkhead from bargain fittings and selected 90 degree elbow for the inside option. My cooler has a nice depression on the drain end, but the port is still an inch or more above that. The elbow fits perfectly and I can drain all but about a cup from the cooler with no lifting or anything.

Also, the Spike kettles suggested by @jekeane are a great option. Spike makes killer kettles and, at that price, a bargain. Their dip tube rocks too....that's what I use with my BrewBuilt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you price checked stuff in WA? I know the Loonie has beek hit hard lately, but don't overlook it.

In regards to the wedding, you are a brave man. You'll need to make sure that everything is ready well prior to your day, as you probably won't have any time to mess with your setup once the day gets near. Also, if have a backup plan in case something goes wrong. You don't want your hobby to be associated with any wedding day "issues".

Wow, thanks everyone for your response, a nice welcome to the community.

I should add some details about the wedding itself. It's mine, and yes she's supportive of my hobby, I find the stereotype of the angry homebrewers wife kinda funny but plausible so ill watch my behavior. There will be ~35 guests at the wedding, which is a BBQ style thing on a beachside campground, very informal. We already have two 20L batches of wine and one of applewine going, so I'm estimating I'll need 4-5 batches of beer, maybe 6 to be comfortable. With the people I know are attending, I don't think we'll have a problem with self service bottles (it is a potluck already). And I don't currently have a draft system but I'm planning one, if I can save the money.

And yes I know I really need to get on it. Although, aren't most beers best when fresh? Anything heavily hopped, even lagers will be best if served within a month, yes?

It seems a few people I ask that started with a chest cooler moved to a round one eventually. Anyone on the chest cooler side? And using a bag to mash in seems to make so much sense to me.. cleaning is a snap and you never get a stuck mash.

Any recipe ideas? What should the menu look like, to appeal to all?

To anyone who can do something about this: I am trying to clean up the formatting of my links in the OP, but it wont let me because "my post contains content that could be spam". Any help with fixing my godawful formatting.

To anyone who can do something about this: I am trying to clean up the formatting of my links in the OP, but it wont let me because "my post contains content that could be spam". Any help with fixing my godawful formatting.
Don't worry about cleaning up the format. Even drunk posts can be deciphered. Yours is far, far from that.

And yes I know I really need to get on it. Although, aren't most beers best when fresh? Anything heavily hopped, even lagers will be best if served within a month, yes?
Depends on the style but there are styles that are best fresh. Lagers still need to lager for a while and you need the ability to control the temp to do so. If I were you, I'd make things that are ready pretty quick. Think APAs, IPAs, Hefeweizen, etc.

Wow, thanks everyone for your response, a nice welcome to the community.

I should add some details about the wedding itself. It's mine, and yes she's supportive of my hobby, I find the stereotype of the angry homebrewers wife kinda funny but plausible so ill watch my behavior. There will be ~35 guests at the wedding, which is a BBQ style thing on a beachside campground, very informal. We already have two 20L batches of wine and one of applewine going, so I'm estimating I'll need 4-5 batches of beer, maybe 6 to be comfortable. With the people I know are attending, I don't think we'll have a problem with self service bottles (it is a potluck already). And I don't currently have a draft system but I'm planning one, if I can save the money.

It seems a few people I ask that started with a chest cooler moved to a round one eventually. Anyone on the chest cooler side? And using a bag to mash in seems to make so much sense to me.. cleaning is a snap and you never get a stuck mash.

Any recipe ideas? What should the menu look like, to appeal to all?

I started with a chest cooler and see absolutely no reason to go to a round one. The only real reason that I can see to go to a round cooler is if you're hell bent on a false bottom and a fly sparge. They probably work slightly better for that than a rectangular cooler with a properly built manifold. There's really not much of a driver to do fly sparge IMO, but if you want to go that route, the round cooler and false bottom are marginally better I think.

Recipes....hard to say. How varied is the group? In general, you want something mainstream for the not-so-craft-beer people...a lager or pilsner or something. For most crowds you'd want an IPA. If only 3 styles I'd round that out with a porter or stout. If 4 styles add in a california common or amber ale that's more on the malty side.

Let us know what styles you want to brew and we can recommend some great recipes. In general, you'll need more time for a pilsner, lager and california common so that they can condition. You'll want to brew the IPA last so that it's fresh. Do you have a way to lager? If not, you'll want to do ales, so replace the pilsner/lager with a mild pale ale. The Cali common needs time, but doesn't necessarily need to be lagered.

I purchased that exact pot and mill from Ontario beer kegs a couple weeks go, I see no problem with a Victoria mill so far especially if you are doing biab it only takes about 1 min a lb to mill by hand and you can use a drill if you want.

Ontario beer kegs is good, i believe they also own Canuck Brewing. follow them on Facebook as they always have sales and giveaways. They have a 10% on now and frequently had 25% off sales the last couple if months and free shipping over $200. Check out torontobrewing.ca as well, they have free shipping on order over $100 right now.

Back