Jumped the gun on kegging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWernBrewer

Reaction score
Made a batch of Apfelwein about two months ago - the temp was a little low about 64° the entire time and it finally cleared and I got my very first keg filled and on gas for carbing.

Problem is, after I had it on gas I poured out a pint and took a taste and put the rest in my hydrometer tube (I know, should have done this before I kegged:drunk: ) and the FG read 1.010 at 60°. It is a little rough around the edges, but actually pretty close to the Possmann's that I have had - maybe not as dry (residual sweetness from the remaining sugar.)

Is my batch ruined?

Joking - but my question is: will I have problems with it in the keg or will the little bit of pressure from it finishing in the keg cause me problems? I figure it will probably take care of itself - maybe vent some gas everyday to avoid overcarb, but I really don't know - like I said, this is my first keg.

EdWort - thanks for the recipe, after I started this batch I went to the German deli down the street and found the Possmann's and really enjoyed it.

Sorry about the length of the post. I think this is the first time I haven't been able to find my answer in search.

I was looking around for a solution to this problem - one thing that seems pretty foolproof would be to release the pressure and add campden tablets, but I would like to know if I could ruin the keg by allowing fermentation to continue under pressure.

I would appreciate any suggestions as I am pretty new at kegging and wine making.

Also, I think that I should have posted this question under kegging/bottling.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: found this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=60375 and that helps - finally found the info I needed. Too much trouble - I will add the Campden and start another batch and chalk it up to experience and always remember to follow the steps, take the **** hydrometer reading you lazy ******* - something I do with the beer - I just couldn't believe that it hadn't finished yet it was clear and been twice the recommended time.

no there won't be any problems with it finishing in the keg. Those corny's are designed for something like 60psi or so.(it says right on them) In fact you can do pressurized fermentation in them. Further fermentation in it would give off some more co2 but I highly doubt it would overcarb even if hooked up to gas as the regulator isn't going to allow more than X psi in there.

If you have the kegs in the fridge, fermentation will cease because the yeast will go dormant. It'll be sweeter than if it finished, but it sounds like you like it as is anyway!

The keg is sitting at room temp in the extra bedroom/storage room. I have it on 10PSI of CO2. I saw the kegs were rated pretty high for pressure - I just would rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys.

Back