Juicy hop character?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
Ever had a beer that had a "juicy" hop character to it? Wondering how to get that. Type of hop, additions, or both?

I brewed an IPA last year that I thought was very juicy. It had equal portions of Amarillo, Simcoe, and Centennial hops. I used an ounce of each hop in the last five minutes of the boil for a 5 gallon batch. It was juicy, citrusy, and piny. I think I associate Amarillo the most with the "juicy" character, because it can take on a sweet character.

I brewed an IPA last year that I thought was very juicy. It had equal portions of Amarillo, Simcoe, and Centennial hops. I used an ounce of each hop in the last five minutes of the boil for a 5 gallon batch. It was juicy, citrusy, and piny. I think I associate Amarillo the most with the "juicy" character, because it can take on a sweet character.

I hope so! I just brewed an APA with simcoe and amarillo, going try dry hop with simcoe and centennial. I have never used simcoe or amarillo before so I'm excited.

I've got an APA right now that tastes very close to grapefruit juice. It is a mix of amarillo and cascade, all in the last 20 minutes of the boil.

Citra hops will give you "juicy". Did one recently with Simcoe, which looked good on paper, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Cascade and Willamette are a really good combination (citrus + woody), and of course Simcoe / Amarillo / Centennial / Columbus (citrus, pine, grapefruit, dank), which is my favorite combination these days (i.e. Pliny).

So sounds like big additions of "fruity" hops at the end of the boil. Thanks :mug:

ericd said:
Ever had a beer that had a "juicy" hop character to it? Wondering how to get that. Type of hop, additions, or both?

Widmer's Drifter Pale Ale has a guava-like character to it. Search this forum but I believe it's a combination of Summit and Nelson Sauvin hops.

I'm drinking an all-simcoe IPA right now that has a very strong aroma/flavor that I can only describe as over-ripe orange. I love it.

damdaman said:
I'm drinking an all-simcoe IPA right now that has a very strong aroma/flavor that I can only describe as over-ripe orange. I love it.

I had one exactly like that too.

Back