Jonathan Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying 200 gallons of freshed pressed juice made primarily from Jonathan apples out of Michigan, maybe as much as 3/4 of the blend. Any one have expereince with making hard cider from Jonathans? Comments, suggestions, how was it? Acidity? I will probably use Nottingham yeast. Many thanks.

The Jonathan apple is a medium-sized sweet apple, with a strong touch of acid and a tough but smooth skin.. Other than that, I can only direct you to an article on the Jonathan apple. Apparently it is the father of the Jonagold, Idared, and a few others.

Do you know what the rest of the blend is made from?

Jonathan Apple Info

Thanks, Mike. Looks like Jonathans came from Spitzenburgs, which are known to make a good cider, but.... I think the rest of the blend is mostly just desserts, likel gala, delicious, etc. I guess we will see, as I've committed to the order now.

Jonathan juice is ok, I like the taste of Jonagold better, a blend of the two tastes pretty good. I'm using Jonathan in some batches I'm running this fall, but only in minor amounts.
I wouldn't order 200 gallons of it though, too many other apples out there. I'd cancel this if you can and get more varieties in the cider.

Back