Johnson Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
Just purchased a Johnson Temp Controller to use in a chest freezer. The instructions that came with the controller are certainly not user friendly. I was wondering if anyone could explain the basics in an "Idiots guide to Johnson Temp" manner.

I tried setting it up for around 68 degrees for an English Bitter but the temperature is fluctuating down to around 63.

I have heard this is the best controller for home brewing and was hoping it could keep the freezer regulated closer to the target fermentation temperature than that.

Any help would be great.

Is it the analog or digital JC controller? And what's the ambient temperature of the room that the chest freezer is in?

What are you doing with the temp. probe? Is it "free" in your freezer, in the air, touching the side??? I tape mine to side of bucket, and put bubble wrap over it - that way it does not get wild swings of ambient temperature, but the more consistent temp. of the beer itself.... That would be my first thought.

Braufessor said:
What are you doing with the temp. probe? Is it "free" in your freezer, in the air, touching the side??? I tape mine to side of bucket, and put bubble wrap over it - that way it does not get wild swings of ambient temperature, but the more consistent temp. of the beer itself.... That would be my first thought.

The ambient temp in the room where the freezer is anywhere between 68-70. Its a digital model.

I had the probe free floating inside the freezer. I just taped the probe to the side of the bucket and covered the probe with a small styrofoam block. The reading on the display is now reading 67 and not fluctuating in swings like before. I will continue to monitor.

Thanks

I programmed mine to cut out at setpoint, I believe I had to move the jumper inside the unit to so this. This lessened the likelihood of the freezer over cooling. Mine usually drops another degree when the unit shuts off. Experiment and figure out the sweet spots and you'll be good to go.

I set the ASD to 12 to keep the unit from turning on and off.

I set the dif at 2 this always the temp to rise 2 degrees above set point before the unit starts.

Setpoint is self explanatory

Ofs is zero

Sf is OP open circuit in failure

I typed this from my phone, so I apologize if there are considerable mechanical errors in my writing.

Back