Johnson A419 or A19 thermostat for keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually have one of each. I started with an A19 and have had it for about 15 years. I use it on my small fermentation freezer and it does great although now the temperature has to be set about 4 degrees below actual (e.g. If I am fermenting at 68, I set the A19 to 64). It did sit in a dusty box in my garage unused for about 7 years which may explain why it isn't as dead on accurate as it used to be when i first got it. Maybe I will try cleaning the sensor to see if that helps. Anyway, the A19 differential is set iirc to 3.5 degrees and isn't adjustable.

I got an A419 about a month ago for my new keezer and it is also rock solid but has many more adjustment options besides just set point. It also displays the inside temperature as well as the set point whereas the A19 doesn't. For my fermentation freezer I bought an indoor/outdoor thermometer with wireless sensor at Lowe's for $20 so i would know what was going on inside.

I don't know what A19s go for now but I think I originally paid just under $50 for it while the A419 was $75 at Amazon. If those prices still apply it is definitely worth the extra $25 to spring for the A419 imo.

Latest posts

Back