John Wesley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told recently that the founder of the Methodist Church, John Wesley, was a brewer. Has anyone on here ever seen a recipe from his brewery?

That's true.. and the prohibition movement was started by women in the methodist church.. Go figure...

I imagine that the modern recipes, ingredients, equipment, and techniques available to you now, are far and away better than anything he and other brewers of his day were doing... so why bother? Acknowledge the sacrifices of past and enjoy the advancements of the present...

This is clearly kicking a long dead horse, but I'm very interested to know if you had any luck with your search for a John Wesley beer. I'm a Methodist pastor currently working on my master's degree, and I have done some research into the brewing of beer in Church history. Earlier this year I brewed an ale based on Martin Luther's beer preferences. I would love to do a John Wesley ale.

All I found in one hour of research is that Wesley hate hops. Check out this letter from Wesley to a newspaper: http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=587

I believe Wesley would have made something similar to our modern day English mild, or possibly Scottish. I'm going to see what else I can find, but invite any and all outsider thoughts.

Back