joes quick grape mead - my version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrug

Reaction score
I have done my version of Joe's quick grape mead. I have done back Sweetening and I have also cold crahed. The issue I am having is a yeastie taste. Will this mellow with age? Hoping to bottle tonight.

If there is a yeasty taste then it may not be fully clear. Did you use ec-1118 or another yeast? 1118 if fully cleared out of the mead should have a pretty nutrial flavor pallet. I would let it sit another 30 days and I bet some sediment drops out.

I have already stablized. What can I top up with, Besides the honey and juice I used? Been clearing for a couple months. Now looks clear to me.

My mead has an off flavor. Dont think it is yesty. I think it is like burnt honey, But no one else does in the family thinks it does. I have tried to cold crash to get rid of flavor, it did temporarily, but it has come back. I have reracked a couple times to get it off lees and sediment. Hard to describe flavor. Any thoughts or ideas?

In the joes quick grape mead I think it calls for a single pound of buckwheat honey. Did you use that? Did you use more than a lb.

No i did not. I used the costco clover honey. Think it makes that much of a difference?

Costco honey will be very neutral in flavor and hot alcohol will be more noticeable with it but I do not think it would cause your flavors. I was going to say some batches of buckwheat can be very pungent in the ass side of flavor if using too much.

Since you used Costco honey this may just need extra aging before it gets into maturity. Have faith, time solves all mead problems.

I will take the advise and hope aging will smooth out off flavor. Thanks for the replies.

Back