Jig for Bottom Keg Cut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut the bottoms out of my keggles and others with a hand-held plasma cutter. Look around to see if you have any buddies that have access to one. All I did was run the cutting wand around the I.D. of the keg rim. Worked like a champ, but make SURE you fill the keg and cap it with a triclamp or put the spear back in it.
If you can't find a plasma cutter, you may be able to make a pivoting jig that clamps onto the rim. You wouldn't be able to cut the entire piece with a jig like this... it would need to be repositioned, then cut some more...

Sorry for the crude post-it note sketch, but this is just what popped into mind. It wouldn't need to be clamped because the "T" stem is maintaining center for you as you rotate the grinder...
2013-01-04%2008.35.32.jpg

This worked for me: find the center of the bottom and drill a hole the size of a nail. Make a small jig with 2 2x4s in an L shape. Clamp a grinder on on leg of the L. Put a nail through the other leg. Insert that same nail through the jig into the hole you drilled in the keg.

Has anyone got info/pics for a jig to cut the bottom(not top) of a keg with an angle grinder. I am sure it is on site but cannot find it.

I'd like to suggest that you follow the method I used to cut the top completely off my keg - only apply it to the bottom:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keiths-cut-keggle-353760/

I saw this idea somewhere else and chose to do it to my keg. I don't get the 1" or so ledge along the "top" of the keggle - actually makes it more like a real kettle.

I'm anticipating making a bottom-draining mashtun using a keg by cutting off the bottom as opposed to the top.

To do this, I'll do exactly what I did to cut off the top - except I'll have to figure out how to keep several inches of water in the upside-down keg while cutting (supposedly keeps the noise down).

All I did was to cut - freehand, no jig - around the weld where the skirt joins the body of the keg. It did a couple turns around to get my cut line adequately scribed before doing the real cutting.

Of course, you will lose the skirt along with the handles in this process. I purchased a couple stainless gate handles and some SS bolts, lock washers and washers.

I think the main down-side to this method is that you have to find a lid to fit. It seems that most who cut out the top from inside the skirt are able to use a standard 12" pot lid.

Respectfully,
Keith

I never could get behind most of the hose clamp/bungee cord/C-clamp designs and ended up grabbing a scrap of 2x6 and some angle that was laying around.

2" hole saw, self tapping screws to attach the angle, couple of 3/8" bolts in the handle mount. If diameter changes as disk wears, loosen the bolts and adjust angle. Salvage 2x6 ended up splitting and had to screw on a strap.

Use the plug for pivot when cutting bottoms.

Easy peasy.

2013-02-24 11.34.05.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

i freehanded with a sawzall and used the lip of the keg as my guide.

Man, I can't imagine wrestling a sawzall, even with fine TPI, AND getting an even cut.:mug: udaman........

And I still can't believe how slick the 5 minute jig worked. Cut two tops and a bottom in under 10 minutes, changed disks between each keg and I drilled bottom and mounted "donut hole" while buddy was cutting the tops.

Back