Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AAAaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh JJJJJJjeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!! :ban:

Mailman just dropped off my 15" hinged and my hop stopper false bottoms!!

Jaybird, YOU DA MAN!!!

I especially like the "cheers" swirl on the under side of the 15" hinged

THANKS!!!

15in hinged.jpg

Hop Stopper.jpg

Jay, just got the FB. Wow! Talk about industrial quality. This thing is gonna be the heat. Thanks man.

Do the raised hop stopping versions work with pellet hops or just with leaf. I would love to get one if they work well with pellet hops but I can't tell if they do.

Do the raised hop stopping versions work with pellet hops or just with leaf. I would love to get one if they work well with pellet hops but I can't tell if they do.

I used my false bottom as a hop stopper this weekend, same size mesh as the hop stopper, which I also have, but doesn't fit in either of the two kegs I am using right now. When I make my new boil kettle, and retire my rubermaid MT I will be using the hop stopper. Anyway I digressed, the false bottom filtered out about half of the pellets, I may add a screen to my dip tube.

I am working on a system that will stop 90+% of the pellet hops, 50-60% with the hop stopper right now is probably very correct. Part of the problem is you dont want to get the screen/mesh to tight because you will trap the boil under it, not fun!... Here in about a week we will be testing the whirlpool system and let you all see what it is.... I am going to look for 1 member here on HBT that wants a killer FB at 1/2 price, that right now whirlpools, uses only pellet hops and is willing to brew a batch of beer, take pictures, post up and do a report here on how it worked. I must get the in house test done first though....
The hop stopper right now will stop most all whole hops and loads more than 50-60%pellet hops if you use a little whole hops with the pellet hops in your boil.
Thanks to all!
Cheers
Jay

As a recent customer, I'd love to beta test for you. I have an electric element in my boil kettle, so it would have to be compatible with that.

So I'm guessing it's pickles design with fine screen added to either the top or the sides. You mentioned whirlpooling, so I'm leaning toward you screening just the top, maybe a thin strip of screen around the bottom edge...

Thanks for all the PM's today guys... I am going to go into testing mode this weekend....
Now this is being built for a converted keg only at this time so if you have a flat bottom kettle this wont work for you enitially....I will pick people based on all the criteria and we will pull from a hat from there.

all good guesses by the way.... but not quite.
Cheers
Jay

Hey Jay...

Well, since nobody else seems interested, I guess I could test the new false bottom for you. :D :eek:

PM Sent.

Thanks,
Ed

Gotta say, I've done 2 boils (maybe more...) with a false bottom and she boils fine. I don't think there's a marked difference with or without the false bottom.

Here's a picture of the hop sludge (I use pellets) and break material from one of my previous brews.

false bottom hops.jpg

I guess with an E-keggle you don't have to worry about boiling under the false bottom since the element is above it. I could probably use your regular false bottom with fine screen all the way across it.

Gotta say, I've done 2 boils (maybe more...) with a false bottom and she boils fine. I don't think there's a marked difference with or without the false bottom.

Here's a picture of the hop sludge (I use pellets) and break material from one of my previous brews.

What is your chill method?

Counterflow chiller recirculated via march pump while whirlpooling down to about 100 in the brew kettle then straight to fermenter from cfc. I use propane to boil.

I haven't brewed since I got to texas so I'm not sure how my methods will work here. Groundwater is around 60 where I came from in Oregon, it's around 80 here. Previous username curtis97322.

Counterflow chiller recirculated via march pump while whirlpooling down to about 100 in the brew kettle then straight to fermenter from cfc. I use propane to boil.

I haven't brewed since I got to texas so I'm not sure how my methods will work here. Groundwater is around 60 where I came from in Oregon, it's around 80 here. Previous username curtis97322.

Awesome. Can't wait to try mine out. Probably this weekend if I don't get any time before then. Been in the 90's here the last few days but supposed to cool of Thursday night.

I will be going back to my whirlpool IC so I hope it performs as well as yours!

Jay, I have two rubbermaid coolers I purchased for the MTL/HLT concepts. Im going to go with SS BV's and all that. I would like to use youre FB and the other attachment please. I seem to not able to PM you......(?) help help?

Just wanted to say thanks to Jaybird, got my false bottom last week with the dip tube. Worked flawlessly, fits like a glove in the bottom of my keggle. Brewed with it Sunday, have never had such a smooth sparge. Super satisfied.

Well my hop stopper from Jay worked great with whole leaf hops. Here's 4 ounces at the end of the boil:

IMG_1926.JPG

Next week...pellets!

Hey that looks nice. how much residue gets into the bottom ?? i'm looking for a way to limit the amount of residue that gets into my fermenter from the kettle. I have been looking into a balloon screen,not sure how well that works. what is that squigilly tube below the screen in the last photo, or is it a shadow ??

When I first started my recirculation from my kettle bottom back to the top, I could see what appeared to be leaf hops here and there in my silicone tubing. After a minute or two it cleared and the flow was steady. Once I removed the hop stopper after removing the hops in the photo's, there was zero debris underneath.

The primary seemed to be pretty clear of any debris as well, best I could tell. Never transferred like this (open lid, gravity) but thought I would give it a try and see if any nasties make it into the brew.

The squigglys are just from the manufacturing process. Kinda like Jay's Zorro mark maybe??

I dont recirculate. I just dump right into the fermenter, like in your picture. But i'm trying to minimize the amount of solids getting into the primary, particularly the Irish Moss i use. I only brew 5 gallon batches, and have a 10 gallon kettle does your beer come out better using whole hopps ?? I have been using bagged pellets.

This was the first time I used the HS from Jay and it flowed fine with the leaf. Next brew I will use all pellets. I also do 5 gallons in a 10 gallon kettle with Irish Moss at the 15 minute mark.

Back