Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance we can get a picture of the underside of you new hop stopper? Also what part is copper and have you come up with a solution that will replace it with stainless yet?

I'll see what I can do here in a few days.
The copper part is a "T" that is what I connect the diptube to. No solutions as of yet...

It would be great to see a video of how the new hop stopper works. Surely you know someone with a video camera / iphone that could shoot a few clips during whirlpool and drain? If I lived closer, I'd volunteer.

So I was in my shop the other night and found 12' of hinges I didn't know I had. I went ahead and welded up 10 x 15" false bottoms and thought to myself...I hadn't done a free shipping offer on a 15 for a while... Last time I sold out rather quickly.... So here it is.
Next 10 PM's or orders I get for the 15" hinged false bottom..FREE SHIPPING!
www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com to order or feel free to PM me here too.
Cheers
Jay

So I was in my shop the other night and found 12' of hinges I didn't know I had. I went ahead and welded up 10 x 15" false bottoms and thought to myself...I hadn't done a free shipping offer on a 15 for a while... Last time I sold out rather quickly.... So here it is.
Next 10 PM's or orders I get for the 15" hinged false bottom..FREE SHIPPING!
www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com to order or feel free to PM me here too.
Cheers
Jay

2 gone.... 8 left!
Cheers
Jay

Just wanted to add some pics of the stuff I ordered from Jaybird in the last couple of weeks. Looks great! Looking forward to breaking them in next weekend.

100_3714.jpg
Stainless False Bottom with stainless dip tube

100_3715.jpg
Stainless Mash Paddle

100_3718.jpg
Stainless Whirlpool Paddle

Just brewed this afternoon with the new false bottom. I recirculated for the entire mash with no problems. Thanks for the great products Jaybird! :ban::ban::ban:

WOW Thanks for the feedback guys! Damn those things look good in the kettle!! Now BREW damn it BREW!!!!! LOL
Yeah I have been hitting the keggorator... But only 3X ok ok ok ok 4 but that's it really and only like 16 oz per tap!!!! LOL jkjkjkjkjkjkjkj
Cheers, guys thanks for the orders!!
Jay

I guess I never posted the pics of mine here:
DSC05409.jpg

DSC05407.jpg

It's under there somewhere, 34 lb grainbill on the first run, I was pretty worried with all the darker roasted barley in there, but I recirc'd for an hour at a steady flow rate. This false bottom is a performance powerhouse.
100_4301.jpg

just to add my $0.02, i got mine recently and just finished the install. i ordered the dip tube uncut so i could adjust it to my MLT and it was quick work with the hacksaw. it installs quickly and is built STOUT!

can't stress how awesome J is to work with, how great his product is and how much i'm looking forward to brewing with this thing!!!

i put my handle under my dip tube so there's less chance of knocking into it with the mash paddle...

2636-jaybird-false-bottom-pickup-tube-awesome.jpg

Free shipping offer for the 15" hinged False bottom is over as of right now. I sold the last 2 this morning.
Thanks a BUNCH for the orders guys and Gals! They went fast!
As always, we are here to offer up some great equipment custom built for your system!
If you have questions please feel free to PM me here.
Cheers
Jay

I guess I never posted the pics of mine here:
DSC05409.jpg

DSC05407.jpg

It's under there somewhere, 34 lb grainbill on the first run, I was pretty worried with all the darker roasted barley in there, but I recirc'd for an hour at a steady flow rate. This false bottom is a performance powerhouse.
100_4301.jpg

Hi klyph, I was searching for builds using Jaybirds false bottom and found your post #414. Curious how your are draining your MLT since the pic doesn't show a diptube.

Thanks!

DSC05404.jpg

Bottom drain, no dip tube to mess with. It's scientifically proven to maximize efficiency by science that proves it. Seriously, I get upwards of 90% efficiency with this thing, I'm still working out how to scale recipes since most factor in about 70% efficiency. Our bourbon vanilla porter ended up yielding 12 gallons out of the 10 gallon recipe to get the OG back down.

These false bottoms are SOOOOO nice.

klyph said:
Bottom drain, no dip tube to mess with. It's scientifically proven to maximize efficiency by science that proves it. Seriously, I get upwards of 90% efficiency with this thing, I'm still working out how to scale recipes since most factor in about 70% efficiency. Our bourbon vanilla porter ended up yielding 12 gallons out of the 10 gallon recipe to get the OG back down.

These false bottoms are SOOOOO nice.

I don't use a bottom drain, but I agree with you on the efficiency of these false bottoms. I'm getting 90-92 ish (calculated by software). At first I was making 6-7% beers that were supposed to be in the 5% range.

Bottom line: these false bottoms rock.

TB

Klyph, thanks for the getback. Bottom dump, very nice. As for scaling, do yourself a favor and invest ~$24.00 on BeerToolsPro. It makes easy work of scaling recipes both in volume and in efficiency.

Cheers!

I don't use a bottom drain, but I agree with you on the efficiency of these false bottoms. I'm getting 90-92 ish (calculated by software). At first I was making 6-7% beers that were supposed to be in the 5% range.

Bottom line: these false bottoms rock.

TB

Ya, I don't think the bottom drain has any effect on the efficiency. I do however, think that having a full false bottom across the entire bottom surface of the mash tun has a dramatic effect.

Hay I just want to say thank you to all that post up the comments! You guys ROCK!! I Love building these for you all and love all the cool stuff you come up with.
Again thanks for all the support! I look forward to building these for you all for a long time!!
Cheers
Jay

Hey Jaybird - I brewed a Pils last night with my freshly arrived 10" false bottom w/ stand. WHAT a friggin' pleasure. With no pick-up tube to lose siphon, I've now got ZERO deadloss with a sexy false bottom. I was able to recirculate damn near as quick as the pump could push the wort. Cleanup's a breeze too!

Well done sir. Well done!

Hey Jaybird - I brewed a Pils last night with my freshly arrived 10" false bottom w/ stand. WHAT a friggin' pleasure. With no pick-up tube to lose siphon, I've now got ZERO deadloss with a sexy false bottom. I was able to recirculate damn near as quick as the pump could push the wort. Cleanup's a breeze too!

Well done sir. Well done!

SWEET!! I LOVE hearing that! Please send samples to... 1101 parkview ave ....Jkjkjkjkj Glad its fits and all is well!
Cheers

Has anyone bought one of Jay's new designs that can give feedback?
Jay,
Can we get more pictures of your new design, like post boil and maybe the underside of it? Also can you get it for a counter clockwise whirlpool?

Received my 15" false bottom and just want to say the quality of this thing is amazing, Thank Jay! Will follow with a brew update sooN!

I'm interested in seeing more on the new ultimate hopstopper as well. I'm building a center drain boil kettle and am curious if this new product could help with the trub cone.

I'm interested in seeing more on the new ultimate hopstopper as well. I'm building a center drain boil kettle and am curious if this new product could help with the trub cone.

I think if you are center draining you would want something more stable in the boil kettle. There is no way to keep this in place unless you have it attached to a solid diptube. I am afraid the boil would move it around a bit.
There are other options though.

What are you chilling with? IC, CF or plate chiller??
Jay

I think if you are center draining you would want something more stable in the boil kettle. There is no way to keep this in place unless you have it attached to a solid diptube. I am afraid the boil would move it around a bit.
There are other options though.

What are you chilling with? IC, CF or plate chiller??
Jay

Primarily an immersion chiller, but I am also recirculating the wort through a small, independent HEX.

Jay,

Can you tell me how the tall the stand is for the false bottoms? To me, it seems like it's about 2"-3" tall, from the pictures.

Can you confirm?

Mike

Just wanted to drop a line that I got a false bottom (w/ stand and handle), and conversion kit valve with dip tube and silicone tubing. As everyone else has said, the quality is top notch, heavy gauge stainless and it fits like a glove. Jay helped me figure out exactly what I need and how to make sure I got good measurements. It also shipped quickly. I gave it a test run this past weekend on my first AG batch and it performed great.

Thanks Jay!

Jay,

Can you tell me how the tall the stand is for the false bottoms? To me, it seems like it's about 2"-3" tall, from the pictures.

Can you confirm?

Mike

Mike
I have a standerd 1.25" and 1.75" depending if its in a kettle or a cooler. But... that said, I can custom cut you anything you need. Want it 1 5/8" I can do that. want it 2" I can do that too.
What are you building?
Jay

I have a Sanke keg, which has a thermometer and dip tube about 2" (in the center) from the beginning of the curve at the bottom of the keg. The dip tube goes off and to the side of the kettle. Ideally, I would like the dip tube to stay where it is, and the stand to bring the false bottom up just above the welded couplers (I would say 2.5"). It's either that or I use one of your hop stoppers, since it won't need to cover the whole bottom. What do you recommend?

This is going to be used with a pump and plate chiller, so it will be whole leaf hops, or pellets in a bag.

-Mike

Back