Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you all know I am a brand new store and I need to move some product ASAP. I am going to pay shipping on all the next 15" hinged false bottom orders I get untill Sunday. I have a boatload (not really) of these built and ready to ship. As most of you know I can drill these for your pickup tube (a free service) and I can also supply a pickup tube if you like for $22.00 extra.
These will now be $85.00 shipped untill Sunday Feb 28th
Cheers
Jay

As you all know I am a brand new store and I need to move some product ASAP. I am going to pay shipping on all the next 15" hinged false bottom orders I get untill Sunday. I have a boatload (not really) of these built and ready to ship. As most of you know I can drill these for your pickup tube (a free service) and I can also supply a pickup tube if you like for $22.00 extra.
These will now be $85.00 shipped untill Sunday Feb 28th
Cheers
Jay

Bump for good measure. :D

I have it built and it is out for testing right now. I am not really sure when exactly I will have it back and brewery tested. But I will tell you this. If it works, and you like to whirlpool but your not patient enough to wait the 30 min for the cone to settle. This is going to help a bunch.
Cheers
Jay

+1 on a request for this. I've got a 17-1/2" BK just waiting for a good, innovative false bottom. I've been reading a lot of threads here and elsewhere about good filtering methods for BKs, and there doesn't seem to be a silver bullet yet to deal with all the situations we face. As you're testing, be sure to keep in mind those of us who recirc through a CFC and return the cooled wort to the BK via whirlpool, and possibly with pellet-only boils (that seems to be the worst case). If you come up with something that works for that, sign me up. :)

:mug:
MrH

+1 on a request for this. I've got a 17-1/2" BK just waiting for a good, innovative false bottom. I've been reading a lot of threads here and elsewhere about good filtering methods for BKs, and there doesn't seem to be a silver bullet yet to deal with all the situations we face. As you're testing, be sure to keep in mind those of us who recirc through a CFC and return the cooled wort to the BK via whirlpool, and possibly with pellet-only boils (that seems to be the worst case). If you come up with something that works for that, sign me up. :)

:mug:
MrH

Loads of testing has gone into this. I have come up with a rather simple method to contain pellet hops in the boil kettle even if you don’t whirlpool. Using a whirlpool will greatly improve what is left in the kettle and out of the fermented. I have been testing several ways to stop the hops. If all the picts work I think you’ll agree this is a simple yet effective way to trap the hops in the kettle. I have tried several different kinds and weight of screen and this seems to be the best of both worlds. What I have done is drilled and tapped some 4-40 stainless screws into the FB. There are 14 screws total in this FB. If you want a hole for a diptube there would be even more.
I have several pictures to show testing as well

first is the false bottom folded with stainless heavy duty mesh. second is after the drain of 4 oz of pellet hops in 5 gallons of wort drained at full speed through a 1/2" full port stainless ball valve.

first picture is what is left behind after kettle is draind and FB removed.
second is what was left behind on top of the new FB for the boil kettle.
I think I was able to capture at least 85-90% of the pellet hops in the kettle. If you whirlpool your going o do even better.
Cheers
Jay

In the pic of the BK with the spoon in it does it have the mesh applied over the top of the false bottom? I can't see the screw heads just curious. Was this drained by gravity or by pump? The results look pretty impressive!

Thats a great visual Jay! That should clear up any "what about the pellet hops?" concern.

Did you chill before draining, or did you drain hot through a CFC? I think generally the larger concern isn't so much the pellet hops as much as the pellet hops plus cold break if you chill in the kettle. Seeing these pics, I immediately wondered if you could add the perfed standoffs you showed earlier for mashing, setting up a two stage filter for flat bottom kettles.

MrH

You could probably add some steel braid to the dip tube bellow the false bottom in order to capture the small amount of remaining hops. Even easier, just put a stainless scrubbing pad under the dip tube.

In the pic of the BK with the spoon in it does it have the mesh applied over the top of the false bottom? I can't see the screw heads just curious. Was this drained by gravity or by pump? The results look pretty impressive!
the mesh is under the false bottom. I drilled and tapped the screws then ground off what came through so we can keep a smooth top. the smooth top is one of the great things about my false bottoms. I gravity drained into my grant through a 1/2" full port ball valve at full flow then pump from there.

Thats a great visual Jay! That should clear up any "what about the pellet hops?" concern.
this idea was brought on by one of the great members here on HBT we worked together and came up with this.

Did you chill before draining, or did you drain hot through a CFC? I think generally the larger concern isn't so much the pellet hops as much as the pellet hops plus cold break if you chill in the kettle. Seeing these pics, I immediately wondered if you could add the perfed standoffs you showed earlier for mashing, setting up a two stage filter for flat bottom kettles.

MrH
I did not chill first it went directly into the grant.
with how fast I drained this kettle and having the mesh on the bottom, I cannot imagin anything stoping the flow. Oh ya for the flat kettles the only stand offs I sell are the SS perf plate. I do however have some of this perf plate rolled into a tube that can go down under the FB for those of you that want a little extra. It would go down and then your dip tube would set in it. Or if you bottom drain it would set in that little indention in the botton of the kettle.

You could probably add some steel braid to the dip tube bellow the false bottom in order to capture the small amount of remaining hops. Even easier, just put a stainless scrubbing pad under the dip tube.
ya the SS scrubby is a great idea too. I think your right it would help stop the little that comes through.
Cheers
Jay

the mesh is under the false bottom. I drilled and tapped the screws then ground off what came through so we can keep a smooth top. the smooth top is one of the great things about my false bottoms. I gravity drained into my grant through a 1/2" full port ball valve at full flow then pump from there.

Ok, so this raises another question. With the screen hanging under the perf sheet, how much junk gets caught in between the two and how hard is it to clean as a result? Having the screen under the perf is a good idea as long as it's easy to maintain. When will these be ready? I still have to work out where my whirlpool return is going to go, so I don't know yet exactly how high I want it to sit.

MrH

I was able to clean it rather easy. If you run water from the screen side to the perf side it cleaned up easy it took some pressure to get it all out but it cleaned up in just a few min.
when will they be ready? Well I am sending one to Canada in the next few days that got bought today. I am going to make them to order at the moment and I am about 3-5 days out on all my builds. I have enough screen to make a few more. My supplier said he is about 5 days out from shipping more to me when I need it.
Jay

Jay-
Are these meant to sit above the bulkhead? I didn't see a pickup tube in your pics or a hole drilled to accept a pick up tube.

That one is going to a customer that bottom drains his boil kettle. If you have a pickup tube in your boil kettle I can drill a hole in the false bottom and the stainless mesh. What I will do is cut the hole in the mesh so the diptube is fairly tight and drill and tap a few stainless screws around the hole to keep everything in place.
Cheers
Jay

I just received my false bottom and this thing rocks! Others have talked about how these are very high quality and I also am really happy with it. I feel like this thing could support a tank and all of the edges are smooth.

Jay worked with me to customize it a little bit and I can't wait to test her out. Thanks Again Jay!

I just received my false bottom and this thing rocks! Others have talked about how these are very high quality and I also am really happy with it. I feel like this thing could support a tank and all of the edges are smooth.

Jay worked with me to customize it a little bit and I can't wait to test her out. Thanks Again Jay!

Ohh Your welcome!!! Thank you! Lets see some pictures of the mods...
Thanks again
Cheers
Jay

Recieved mine this week - The false bottom fits great, thanks for also taking the time to answer all my questions.

Can't wait to brew with it! I'll try to remember to snap a few pictures!

Recieved mine this week - The false bottom fits great, thanks for also taking the time to answer all my questions.

Can't wait to brew with it! I'll try to remember to snap a few pictures!

Oh man no problem at all! Thank you for the purchase.
Oh ya I like seeing picts of all your systems w/ this FB installed.
Cheers
Jya

So let me wrap my head around this and throw something out there.

Using the folding false nottom with the stopper screen installed Jay said he blocked maybe 85-90% of the pellet hop matter, but did not cool in the kettle, so no large volume of cold break.

That being the case, what are opinions on this? In a kettle being cooled with an immersion whirlpool chiller, use Jays false bottom with the hop screen. Get the fixture to raise the false bottom off the bottom of the brew pot above the pot drain valve. Install one of those home made sewn hop stoppers over the drain dip tube which will be below the false bottom.

The traditional problem with mesh screen hop stoppers has been they will clog with cold braek and any moderate volume of hop pellets. If Jays screen is effective at blocking 85% of the cold break and pellet hops ( I realize Jay did not test with excessive cold break) then the hop stopper beneath the screen should be able to deal with the remaining load that makes it through.

Ideally we need someone who has tested the false bottom with screen and who chills with an IC to let us know how well it stopped a combined load of heavy pellets and cold break.

Yep I have, the customer sent me a paper templet of the cooler. I would want you to do the same so we could get it perfect. I have found all the coolers are not the same.
Cheers
jay

Thanks, I will PM you to get the necessary info and pricing info for the false bottom.

Having any sales on 15" hinged FB's for keggles any time soon?
What did you have in mind? Like free shipping when you buy 2?
Or how about buy a 15" hinged and get 8 oz of cascade whole hops free?
Or maybe buy a 15" hinged FB a digital probe thermometer ($11.95)and a digital breathalyzer ($15)and get free shipping.
Or how about this? Buy 1 15" hinged FB and any book I carry and I will pay half the shipping.
Or come up with your own sale and lets chat about it...:D

I asked about and Igloo Ice cube but after and unfortunate accident involving beer and a drill I am migrating to a 10Gal round igloo cooler from Home Depot. Have you made a FB for these or would you need dimensions on it? Thanks

I have made several for all sorts of coolers. Yes I would still like some measurements from you, as all the coolers are diferent. I like to make them to fit your system.
Cheers
Jay

Back