Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using the 15" hinged version. What I've been doing is while the FB is still partially folded I'll insert the pick up into the hole. I'll lower that in to the MLT and as I'm flattening out the FB the pick up finds it's way to the coupling. I should have a video up shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGueMVCRCs

Does anyone have pics of a 10 gal cooler setup with the false bottom and pickup assembly that Jay sells?

Brother you should have it by now. Usps wont leave it without a sig. are you home when your mail is left?
I'm not home, but they'll leave a green card if they try to deliver it and no one is home. SWMBO will be home on Thursday though so we'll see.

I'm not home, but they'll leave a green card if they try to deliver it and no one is home. SWMBO will be home on Thursday though so we'll see.

USPS shows it out for delivery today. WTF took it so damn long to get there is beyond me. They are usually always 2-3 days from here to anywhere in the states.
Jay

There's a conspiracy between UPS and the fab shop to make your customers wait ;-)

Brewing up a pretty heavy duty wheat wine either tomorrow or Friday. Will take pictures of the beautiful FB then.

USPS shows it out for delivery today. WTF took it so damn long to get there is beyond me. They are usually always 2-3 days from here to anywhere in the states.
Jay

Yup. It just changed this morning and showed up today. It could have been a combination of the storms for the past two weeks.

Ok in the spirit of giving and the New Year. I am going to give every person that orders a 15" hinged FB and dip tube by mid night tonight. For a total of $117.00. That person gets 8oz of whole hops (all same kind, that I have in stock) free w/ their order.
Just PayPal [email protected] add free hops (give me 3 kinds you would like I am sure I have 1 of them) to the notes and you get em'
Cheers
Jay

Ok in the spirit of giving and the New Year. I am going to give every person that orders a 15" hinged FB and dip tube by mid night tonight. For a total of $117.00. That person gets 8oz of whole hops (all same kind, that I have in stock) free w/ their order.
Just PayPal [email protected] add free hops (give me 3 kinds you would like I am sure I have 1 of them) to the notes and you get em'
Cheers
Jay

Bump for good measure.... 2 takers of the free 1/2 LB of hops so far... Anyone else????
Happy New Year!!!!
Jay

Blast. Forgot to take pictures of the FB in action.

FB performed flawlessly with a wheatwine (11lb 2 2row 10lb wheat malt 1.7lb honey malt) but my diptube (my design) sucks. Darn thing came loose (you'd think I'd learn) . No stuck sparge until MY part of the design failed. With Jay's diptube I'd be done brewing an hour ago. As is, I've got another 1/2 hour of boil.

Blast. Forgot to take pictures of the FB in action.

FB performed flawlessly with a wheatwine (11lb 2 2row 10lb wheat malt 1.7lb honey malt) but my diptube (my design) sucks. Darn thing came loose (you'd think I'd learn) . No stuck sparge until MY part of the design failed. With Jay's diptube I'd be done brewing an hour ago. As is, I've got another 1/2 hour of boil.

Oh damn Curtis that blows. Hay at least you get to spend a little more time in the brewery! Always a good thing IMHO.
Cheers

MTHarrington said:
Howdy there,

I was told in a thread today that you make 15" folding false bottoms for sanke kegs...

How much do you charge for one?

Thanks!!!
-Matt
Matt
Your PM box is full. So I will post here in hopes that you see it.
Yes I do.. They are $95 shipped anywhere in the US
I have 1 built and available at the moment that I can ship tomorrow if you want it.
Cheers
Jay

Jay, how does your false bottom hold up against pellet hops in the boil kettle (never used a FB, so...)
I'm hoping they pass right thru?
Looking for a solution for heavy IBU beers with pellet/whole hops mixes...

Thanks!

Jay

Im in the process of setting up my keg MLT and had some questions since I havent cut or drilled anything.

1. To use your full size false bottom, what is the minumum size that I need to cut my top of the keg?
2. Since I will also be drilling the hole for the ball valve and welding in a coupling, what size coupling do I need? How big is the thread on the dip tube connector?
3. Most importantly, at what level do I need to make my ball valve coupler in the side of the keg?

Hope these questions make sense?

Cheers

Lucas

Jay

Im in the process of setting up my keg MLT and had some questions since I havent cut or drilled anything.

1. To use your full size false bottom, what is the minumum size that I need to cut my top of the keg?
2. Since I will also be drilling the hole for the ball valve and welding in a coupling, what size coupling do I need? How big is the thread on the dip tube connector?
3. Most importantly, at what level do I need to make my ball valve coupler in the side of the keg?

Hope these questions make sense?

Cheers

Lucas

Lucas
1. 7.5" is the size of the 15" false bottom folded in half. So it will fit in any opening 7.5" or larger
2. Use a 1/2" stainless coupling, the male end of the diptube compression fitting that I provide when you buy a diptube is 1/2" NPT.
3. This really dosen't matter, as I build the diptubes to fit "your" system. Keep it as low as you can, directly above the radius and you'll be good.

Cheers
Jay

Jay, check your PM

Returned...

And for a little update to all that asked.

I have had several requests for stainless dip tubes. I am working w/ a company here locally on pricing. They seem to be fairly competitive with what's out there. So, very soon we will be able to offer the stainless dip tubes as well as the copper/brass. I am also working very hard on getting my website up and complete w/ pictures and coupon codes for HBT members.
I am running myself ragged as I am a 1 man show in the development side of my company and I really do appreciate the business and the patience that I have got from all of you with the false bottom orders.
More to come on the website and the false bottoms. I have a few really KILLER designs that I am in the testing mode on right now for boil kettles and for those of you who whirlpool.
More to come.
Cheers
Jay

So I think I am able to add a few picts. This is a 10" stainless false bottom for a cooler and the stand off that I came up with. This stand off will help keep any grain that does manage to squeeze by, from getting in the spigot. This is what you would use in any flat bottom kettle. I cut these to your spec for your application.
Cheers
Jay

So I think I am able to add a few picts. This is a 10" stainless false bottom for a cooler and the stand off that I came up with. This stand off will help keep any grain that does manage to squeeze by, from getting in the spigot. This is what you would use in any flat bottom kettle. I cut these to your spec for your application.
Cheers
Jay

Jay

You have very feminine hands!:cross:

14242d1263265245-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-

That's nice Jay. It should help me convince SWMBO that I "need" one.

Thanks.

What is the advantage of having the pickup on the side? Wouldn't it make sense to put the outlet directly in the center of the bottom?

Cheers
Jay

So does this not require a dip tube or anything? Does it just sit higher than ball valve?

yep... the way I put them together for the coolers you don't need a pick up tube. some people install them any way to get "EVERYTHING" out, but you don't need one thats for sure.
Jay

Does anyone here currently have this setup? I am just curious because I have seen a bunch of manifolds and false bottoms but I have never seen one like this...but it looks like it will work pretty well. I am just debating whether I want to go with a regular false bottom and pick up tube OR go this route with the raised false bottom for ease of use. It seems like the raised one would be easier to assemble/take apart and clean but I am wondering how well it performs compared to the non-raised false bottoms.

I have sold several to people on this forum. They may chime in, if not I will be happy to shoot them a PM later and ask them to. As far as I know they are very happy with the set up. I have sold 10 or 15 through my store to people here local and everyone seems to think its the way to go in a cooler.
Jay

I still don't understand why the keg mash tuns have the pickup on the side with a false bottom. Wouldn't it make sense to put the drain in the center bottom below the false bottom?

I still don't understand why the keg mash tuns have the pickup on the side with a false bottom. Wouldn't it make sense to put the drain in the center bottom below the false bottom?

Yep it does and thats the way my system is set up. There are some who direct fire their mash tuns and dont want to directly fire the 1/2" stainless pipe that would come out from the bottom of the MLT.

I have sold several to people on this forum. They may chime in, if not I will be happy to shoot them a PM later and ask them to. As far as I know they are very happy with the set up. I have sold 10 or 15 through my store to people here local and everyone seems to think its the way to go in a cooler.
Jay

Ok, great! Well I think I am leaning towards this raised false bottom setup...it just looks like the easiest IMHO as far as setup and clean up especially for a virgin ALL GRAIN brewer such as myself. I want to keep it as simple as possible for my first few AG batches.

I think I will want to piece together some type of pick up tube though because I do not want to leave anything behind...did you have any pick up tube assemblies yourself for sale that would go along with this raised false bottom?

Ok, great! Well I think I am leaning towards this raised false bottom setup...it just looks like the easiest IMHO as far as setup and clean up especially for a virgin ALL GRAIN brewer such as myself. I want to keep it as simple as possible for my first few AG batches.

I think I will want to piece together some type of pick up tube though because I do not want to leave anything behind...did you have any pick up tube assemblies yourself for sale that would go along with this raised false bottom?

you bet. I can put together anything you need. All I will need from you is a measurement from the top of the coupling to the bottom of the cooler and I can build it for you .
Cheers
Jay

Does anyone here currently have this setup? I am just curious because I have seen a bunch of manifolds and false bottoms but I have never seen one like this...but it looks like it will work pretty well. I am just debating whether I want to go with a regular false bottom and pick up tube OR go this route with the raised false bottom for ease of use. It seems like the raised one would be easier to assemble/take apart and clean but I am wondering how well it performs compared to the non-raised false bottoms.

I'd let you know, but I haven't used mine yet. Hopefully soon!

adx is one of the people that bought the stand off system for a cooler.
Bud you need to get to brewing :D
Jay

adx is one of the people that bought the stand off system for a cooler.
Bud you need to get to brewing :D
Jay

It's my sister's fault. She was suppose to bring me a 10 gallon cooler at Christmas and forgot it. Now she needs to get her butt here with my cooler!

Back