Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jay I am looking at your jaybird false bottom for a 20 gallon Spike Brewing kettle. My MLT would have a 1/2 welded NPT fitting. I planned on mounting a short 90 degree 1/2" dip tube attached to a compression fitting inside. Normally they mount the fitting 1.5" from the bottom of the kettle. I am concerned about clearance issues when adding and removing and installing the false bottom and reattaching the dip tube. Is this an issue? Should I have the fitting mounted higher? Would you recommend hinged or not hinged and what size stand.

Thanks for your time.

Jay I am looking at your jaybird false bottom for a 20 gallon Spike Brewing kettle. My MLT would have a 1/2 welded NPT fitting. I planned on mounting a short 90 degree 1/2" dip tube attached to a compression fitting inside. Normally they mount the fitting 1.5" from the bottom of the kettle. I am concerned about clearance issues when adding and removing and installing the false bottom and reattaching the dip tube. Is this an issue? Should I have the fitting mounted higher? Would you recommend hinged or not hinged and what size stand.

Thanks for your time.

Ok check this out... We are changing the way we build the stands and have the entire family of More Beer kettles done and are doing the Spike Brewing kettles next as far as the website goes. I have the sizes for the Spike kettles but I understand from Ben at Spike that they are changing the sizes. So for your kettle I can build a False Bottom system exactly like the More Beer kettles for you without any issues. Check the link and let me know if you have any questions. As far as the hinge goes you will only need a hinge IF you have a really long temp probe in the kettle. But at the store I can get it in and out with a 6" probe in the kettle. The stand in the Spike kettles are 1 3/4" tall to get above the drain and you can use any dip tube you want. Most just use a street 90. You can see that the Ribs or "notch" if you will, will assist in a massive amount of extra filtration and stop any grain that gets by the sides from getting into the dip tube.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.c...big-giveaway-459192/&__utmv=-&__utmk=31069759

Let me know what you think..

Cheers
Jay

Cheers
Jay

Sweet, I like the new design. PM me a cost?

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Conversion_Kettle_Spike_Brewing_20_Gallon.html

I'll do 1 better.. Here is a link to the new redesigned false bottoms for the Spike kettles.

I am going to try and hook up with Ben at Spike brewing tomorrow to make sure the kettles they sold are within spec of the listed sizes. They should be spot on but worth the phone call I think...

Let me know what you think.

Cheers
Jay

Hey Jay. I sent you an email today with a few questions regarding your 15" false bottom. Cheers.

Well, I haven't reported back since my first brew with it, but I am proud to say this thing is badass! I used it in my keggle with 19lbs of grain the other day and it held up well. I love having the filter stand, that adds a second layer of protection. Easy cleanup! I am looking to get one for my boil keggle now.

Well, I haven't reported back since my first brew with it, but I am proud to say this thing is badass! I used it in my keggle with 19lbs of grain the other day and it held up well. I love having the filter stand, that adds a second layer of protection. Easy cleanup! I am looking to get one for my boil keggle now.

You did see the new promo were running right?

I just received my false bottom and wanted to drop the props. It is beautiful. I am thinking of just hanging it on the wall in my living room when I am not using it. If it works as good as it looks ( which I am sure it will), I am gonna have a blast brewing with this.

I just received my false bottom and wanted to drop the props. It is beautiful. I am thinking of just hanging it on the wall in my living room when I am not using it. If it works as good as it looks ( which I am sure it will), I am gonna have a blast brewing with this.

If you hang it in the living room when not in use...I WANT PICTURES! LOL

Thanks for the shout out and the props. As always, my pleasure! I love building them!

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird,
got one of your custom FB a couple years ago. Sent you the size, got it back, and that sucker fits as tight.. Well, you get the idea. It's like a tank, indestructible. Thanks again. Cheers.

Jaybird,
got one of your custom FB a couple years ago. Sent you the size, got it back, and that sucker fits as tight.. Well, you get the idea. It's like a tank, indestructible. Thanks again. Cheers.

As tight as......WHAT? ha ha ha.....

Glad she is still giving you good......Wort.:D

Thanks for the shout out!

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird, I am looking for more flow then my stock 20 Gallon Stout Tanks Mash Tun with bottom outlet. Do you make a false bottom for it? .

Thanks.

Just got the notification last night that my two keggle sized FB's are coming in the mail along with a level 2 and level 3 filter stand! :ban:

I'm going to (attempt) a good write up with lots of pictures in a couple weeks as I'm going to do inverted keggles and want to spread the gospel a little bit.

Just got the notification last night that my two keggle sized FB's are coming in the mail along with a level 2 and level 3 filter stand! :ban:

I'm going to (attempt) a good write up with lots of pictures in a couple weeks as I'm going to do inverted keggles and want to spread the gospel a little bit.

Well thanks a bunch for the order! I think once you get started putting your system together, things are gonna just flow like magic!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay, the Jaybird for my Stout Tanks MT is awesome!

Fits perfect and is a huge improvement over the stock FB. I was having problems with not getting enough flow with upgraded 1/2" 50 ft herms coil. Now, it works perfectly, I get much faster ramp up times and zero temp differential needed between the HLT and the MT. I could not be happier.

There is no comparison between the two FB's. The Jaybird lives up ton and surpasses the hype. First class all the way!!!

PS - Your shipping to Canada is faster then anyone else. Not sure how you do it, but its great!

Thanks Jay, the Jaybird for my Stout Tanks MT is awesome!

Fits perfect and is a huge improvement over the stock FB. I was having problems with not getting enough flow with upgraded 1/2" 50 ft herms coil. Now, it works perfectly, I get much faster ramp up times and zero temp differential needed between the HLT and the MT. I could not be happier.

There is no comparison between the two FB's. The Jaybird lives up ton and surpasses the hype. First class all the way!!!

PS - Your shipping to Canada is faster then anyone else. Not sure how you do it, but its great!

Ohhh man that is KILLER feedback! Thanks a bunch for the shout out!.

As for shipping speed to Canada....Ha Ha Ha.. I aint telling! Just know its FAST! :D:D:D

Cheers
Jay

Ordered a FB for my Cooler on Saturday, can't wait to get it and brew with it. I tired of knocking my manifold off!

New false bottom installed. Had to do some modification (my issue not what Jay sent ). Cant wait to brew with it!

Forgot the pic.

1412552303462.jpg

Yea that was the issue. I didn't realize how out if round it was. Its tough as nails though

I'll be putting up a video this week on the best way to measure and make sure the system is going to fit. I know it wont do you any good at this point but I have to say you got it fit in there like a glove man! Good job!

Cheers
Jay

Thinking of manufacturing a false bottom for my cooler. What materials should i use and what should i avoid? Was contemplating using a fiber glass frame with a cotton type sieve

Jay,

I was thinking of buying the level 3 filter stand (just the stand at this point) and using it as a hop filter for whole hops in my keggle dip tube. When I get to finishing the conversion of this keg to a mash tun, I'll add the false bottom to it.

Does this sound like a workable plan?

Jay,

I was thinking of buying the level 3 filter stand (just the stand at this point) and using it as a hop filter for whole hops in my keggle dip tube. When I get to finishing the conversion of this keg to a mash tun, I'll add the false bottom to it.

Does this sound like a workable plan?

There are MANY people that are using just the level 3 for whole hops with great results. You just don't want to overload it with monster IIPA's and you should be fine.

Cheers
Jay

Cool. I have a Barleywine that's going to take 5 or 6oz of hops, though. Think it can handle it?

Yep for sure! You will want to secure it down with a clamp to the dip tube but Yeah for sure!.. You need an address to send some of that BarleyWine? LOL

If you buy it as a stand alone part make sure to specify the hole diameter in the comments at checkout.

Cheers
Jay

Back