Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM's sent guys...

Well I was able to give away 3 free shipping deals..

Way to go guys!

We still have 10% off all false bottoms till Nov 3rd

Cheers
Jay

Sooooo I just cut my keg open and laid the false bottom down. It looks GREAT! I'm pumped to use it on my next brew. However, the age old adage of "measure twice, cut once" is irritating me.

How high above the false bottom should I drill the 1/2 in hole for the ball valve?

I don't want to be too high up as to leave extra wort behind, but I also don't want to be too low as to have issues getting it together and apart for cleaning between brews.

Hold the dip tube inside the keg and see where it falls in relation to the weld line. Or hold it in the leg where you want it and meSure from the top.

Sooooo I just cut my keg open and laid the false bottom down. It looks GREAT! I'm pumped to use it on my next brew. However, the age old adage of "measure twice, cut once" is irritating me.

How high above the false bottom should I drill the 1/2 in hole for the ball valve?

I don't want to be too high up as to leave extra wort behind, but I also don't want to be too low as to have issues getting it together and apart for cleaning between brews.

Hold the dip tube inside the keg and see where it falls in relation to the weld line. Or hold it in the leg where you want it and meSure from the top.

This is good advice I like to be a little on the safe side and hold it up a little higher than most. I like to have a good 1/2" under my dip tube for all the reasons you mentioned. But keep in mind IF you do put it too low, you can always cut the tube off a little on the bottom side.

Cheers
Jay

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a particular dip tube that you use to determine size and placement of hole in the FB? Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a particular dip tube that you use to determine size and placement of hole in the FB? Thanks in advance.

You can get the complete assembly from NorCal that will be set up to work correctly. OR, you can just get the false bottom, with the hole in it, and then get/make your own dip tube to work. You can get the dip tubes a bit longer, and cut it down to where you need it to be. I have the hardware to create dip tubes the length I need, and with the bend I want.

When I make a new mash tun keggle, I'll do away with the bulkhead at the fittings end. Completely unnecessary IMO, since you get the same effect with just using the compression to pipe fitting (the one you'll use on the bulkhead). Makes for a longer dip tube, but that's typically cheaper than adding the bulkhead. It also eliminates additional joining points in the system (so less leak potential).

You can get the complete assembly from NorCal that will be set up to work correctly. OR, you can just get the false bottom, with the hole in it, and then get/make your own dip tube to work. You can get the dip tubes a bit longer, and cut it down to where you need it to be. I have the hardware to create dip tubes the length I need, and with the bend I want.

When I make a new mash tun keggle, I'll do away with the bulkhead at the fittings end. Completely unnecessary IMO, since you get the same effect with just using the compression to pipe fitting (the one you'll use on the bulkhead). Makes for a longer dip tube, but that's typically cheaper than adding the bulkhead. It also eliminates additional joining points in the system (so less leak potential).
Totally correct Golddiggie and exactly how we set them up in the store. But for some reason people buying them online want to see the bulkhead fitting. Not sure why.

As for the diptube size question. What I have to do is take several things into account. Kettle size being 1 of them. In any kettle design I account for the length the depth and the bend. Also what is going to be in the kettle. Is the false bottom going to be sitting above the diptube or below.
I have set layout for just about every kettle out there at this point so I just build of what I have already done.
Do you have a particular kettle your building you need diptube hole placement. I am happy to assist you if I can.

Cheers
Jay

I think my Christmas present to myself, depending on the damage taken by presents for others, will be a bayou mash tun so I can scrap the cooler. I am not sure what size bayou yet, I am debating. I'll certainly be in touch when I am ready to pull the trigger.

I'm interested in getting one of these false bottoms for my boil kettle, primarily for hop filtering. I use an immersion chiller and recirculate the wort with a pump while chilling. From what I've gathered from a few posts I shouldn't have issues with clogging the FB if using all leaf hops, I might (or will) run in to trouble with pellets. I typically use all leaf hops but occasionally use some pellets along with leaf. At the moment all hops go in bags and there's no issues. I plan to get a 2" stand with the false bottom so it sits just above the outlet valve. The custom FB will run me about $160 shipped so I'd really like to know if this is going to do what I hope before ordering. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

au198295 said:
I'm interested in getting one of these false bottoms for my boil kettle, primarily for hop filtering. I use an immersion chiller and recirculate the wort with a pump while chilling. From what I've gathered from a few posts I shouldn't have issues with clogging the FB if using all leaf hops, I might (or will) run in to trouble with pellets. I typically use all leaf hops but occasionally use some pellets along with leaf. At the moment all hops go in bags and there's no issues. I plan to get a 2" stand with the false bottom so it sits just above the outlet valve. The custom FB will run me about $160 shipped so I'd really like to know if this is going to do what I hope before ordering. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 15" hinged and a level 3 filter. Absolutely no problems using 1+ pounds of pellets.

I was looking at those additional filters that sit below the FB but, according to the site, these are only compatible with the 15" FBs for keggles. I have a 15 gal kettle.

I would think they would work under any of the false bottoms (assuming the false bottom itself fits the kettle you're using.) I have one of the Level 2 which I use with a keggle But I dont' really see why it wouldn't work with another size kettle... Unless the kettle was huge... Then you may need some supports out towards the edges...

I can build extra filtration into any stand if you wish.

the 2" stand is a great idea to keep the false bottom above the spigot and depending on the size of the false bottom you need the stand will add extra filtration so you can use pellets as well. The systems filter whole hops better but they do a great job with the pellets too.

I was looking at those additional filters that sit below the FB but, according to the site, these are only compatible with the 15" FBs for keggles. I have a 15 gal kettle.

We would have to build the stand to fit your kettle. The level 1,2 and 3 stand are for sure only for the 15" false bottoms that are being used in a keg conversion.

Shoot me a PM with a link to your kettle and I can get you an idea of what we can do to get you a filter system that will work under your false bottom.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jaybird and staff for everything this year!

Ohh man our pleasure! It has been 1 wild ride for sure! We have sold more false bottom systems this year that all other years combined! And we have built a massive fab shop and 10000 sf store in the process. You guys have been great! It is killer to be part of such a great group! I really hope everyones 2014 is a good or better then any year yet! Lets strive for greatness this year my friends!

Cheers
Jay

Does anyone know the volume of wort below the 15" FB? I'm just trying to make calculations of how much grain I can mash with this puppy before I make the plunge. :)

Does anyone know the volume of wort below the 15" FB? I'm just trying to make calculations of how much grain I can mash with this puppy before I make the plunge. :)

In my keggle, it came out to about 3 quarts under the false bottom. It's easy enough to measure once you have it installed.

Just ordered mine, can't wait for it to get here. The forum has nothing but good things to say about these FB's. It would be interesting if someone had a comparison between this and the coveted Blichmann False Bottom. I had previously been looking for the Blichmann style FB when I stumbled upon the Jaybird, quality seems good.

I also threw in a RIMS tube, can't wait to put that together as well!

Just ordered mine, can't wait for it to get here. The forum has nothing but good things to say about these FB's. It would be interesting if someone had a comparison between this and the coveted Blichmann False Bottom. I had previously been looking for the Blichmann style FB when I stumbled upon the Jaybird, quality seems good.

I also threw in a RIMS tube, can't wait to put that together as well!

Thanks for the kind words! Your order is processed and will hit the streets on Monday. Have to spend Sunday sucking up to the SWMBO for being gone all week in the shop...

Cheers
Jay

I just want to throw out what a pleasure it was doing business with Jaybird and http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com. After buying from another vendor and having it fail while getting ready for my first run on my E-HERMS system, I decided I should have just spent the money on a Jaybird False Bottom in the first place. Well, living in San Diego I inquired about getting overnight so my innaugeral brew day would still happen. Jay and his staff were quick to save me from having to spend $125 on shipping. I am looking forward to receiving it and I will certainly be doing business with them again. Fantastic customer service and overall just a great dude!!!!!! I can't express that enough.

I just want to throw out what a pleasure it was doing business with Jaybird and http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com. After buying from another vendor and having it fail while getting ready for my first run on my E-HERMS system, I decided I should have just spent the money on a Jaybird False Bottom in the first place. Well, living in San Diego I inquired about getting overnight so my innaugeral brew day would still happen. Jay and his staff were quick to save me from having to spend $125 on shipping. I am looking forward to receiving it and I will certainly be doing business with them again. Fantastic customer service and overall just a great dude!!!!!! I can't express that enough.

Thanks man! Your package left USPS Priority today and "BEER GODS" willing you will have it tomorrow. But more likely Monday. 1 day brother, 1 day earlier and it would have been in your hands on time for your brew day...
Again our pleasure.

Cheers
Jay

I'll add to the pile of compliments for Jaybird and his crew. The quality of my RIMS tube and 15" FB is fantastic. I've seen many that were not nearly as nice as these. Very well done.

Beyond that, I noticed I had a part missing on the order, which happens, I wasn't too worried about it. Before I could even contact them and see what could be done to fix it, I received a second package a day or two later with a note apologizing for the mistake.

What a fantastic experience! I can't wait to tie up the last few threads to piece this RIMS keggle together now!

Wow is all I can say. This is a thing of beauty! Went in the mash tun in a matter of seconds and fit perfectly! Unfortunately I had an SSR bite the dust while auto-tuning. Inaugural brew day with my HERMS is delayed til Thursday now while I wait on a SSR to arrive. Can't wait to use it though!

I'll add to the pile of compliments for Jaybird and his crew. The quality of my RIMS tube and 15" FB is fantastic. I've seen many that were not nearly as nice as these. Very well done.

Beyond that, I noticed I had a part missing on the order, which happens, I wasn't too worried about it. Before I could even contact them and see what could be done to fix it, I received a second package a day or two later with a note apologizing for the mistake.

What a fantastic experience! I can't wait to tie up the last few threads to piece this RIMS keggle together now!

Wow is all I can say. This is a thing of beauty! Went in the mash tun in a matter of seconds and fit perfectly! Unfortunately I had an SSR bite the dust while auto-tuning. Inaugural brew day with my HERMS is delayed til Thursday now while I wait on a SSR to arrive. Can't wait to use it though!

Cant thank you guys enough for the great compliments! I love hearing them and I always forward them onto my team!

Snackson that sucks man! arn't ya glad you didn't pay 100 bones for overnight shipping..... Glad to hear it fit like a glove! Just wondering, what day did it end up hitting your doorstep?

Cheers
Jay

Snackson that sucks man! arn't ya glad you didn't pay 100 bones for overnight shipping..... Glad to hear it fit like a glove! Just wondering, what day did it end up hitting your doorstep?

Cheers
Jay

Very glad I didn't spend the money on the shipping! Thanks again for the save! This project has been 3 years in the making because of being in the Navy and having 2 year old triplets at home. I just keeping running into one problem after another but I am set to brew tomorrow night. Starter is going, Brewhemoth is cleaned up and sanitized, new SSR installed, Mash Tun complete with Jaybird False Bottom and tested the system last night. We are ready to brew tomorrow after I get off duty.

The shipping was super quick, I got it at Monday at 12:40. I'm probably going to order some 1/2" silicone hose and a couple other things here soon. Don't need them yet, but they will make it easier later on.

Thanks again Jay!

For those that are looking for a false bottom, follow the advice of others here and do it right the first time with Jaybird!

Very glad I didn't spend the money on the shipping! Thanks again for the save! This project has been 3 years in the making because of being in the Navy and having 2 year old triplets at home. I just keeping running into one problem after another but I am set to brew tomorrow night. Starter is going, Brewhemoth is cleaned up and sanitized, new SSR installed, Mash Tun complete with Jaybird False Bottom and tested the system last night. We are ready to brew tomorrow after I get off duty.

The shipping was super quick, I got it at Monday at 12:40. I'm probably going to order some 1/2" silicone hose and a couple other things here soon. Don't need them yet, but they will make it easier later on.

Thanks again Jay!

For those that are looking for a false bottom, follow the advice of others here and do it right the first time with Jaybird!

SWEET man great to hear. Keep us posted on the brew day! Man how ever do I love to see a plan together!

Cheers
Jay

Drats! I'm in the market for one now too..

OK.. We have discussed this in great detail in the shop. I am BUSY!!! Real BUSY! But I have HUGE HUGE HUGE news to share on April 4th and with that will come a Jaybird False Bottom discount promo. I am not going to give away what the promo is going to be yet but look for it.

Cheers
Jay

Promo or not, I got my 15 inch keggle false bottom and stand for my bottom drain mash tun....WOW! the quality is fantastic and the fit is absolutely perfect. Excellent work!

I'm normally a DIY guy and have the 12 inch bottom of the keg that I cut out that I was going to drill and turn into a false bottom, but after receiving this unit I'm glad I didn't! Well worth the price.

Promo or not, I got my 15 inch keggle false bottom and stand for my bottom drain mash tun....WOW! the quality is fantastic and the fit is absolutely perfect. Excellent work!

I'm normally a DIY guy and have the 12 inch bottom of the keg that I cut out that I was going to drill and turn into a false bottom, but after receiving this unit I'm glad I didn't! Well worth the price.

Man I love hearing this! I do take great pride in building them!

Thanks for the shout out!
Cheers
Jay

Back