Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quit thinking about it and order it! Just used my 15" Jaybird False Bottom, Direct Fired Keggle stand, and SS dip tube to do my first heat staged mash for a Wheat Beer. Protein rest at 122, Sach rest at 152 and mash out at 168, never once did it get stuck. I use a pump so that could have something to do with it, but it ran smooth and it was the cleanest wort coming out of the mash i've ever had. Vorlaufed through pump into port at top of mash tun for good 5 minutes before running into keggle, really excited for this beer.
Thanks Jaybird!!!!

Quit thinking about it and order it! Just used my 15" Jaybird False Bottom, Direct Fired Keggle stand, and SS dip tube to do my first heat staged mash for a Wheat Beer. Protein rest at 122, Sach rest at 152 and mash out at 168, never once did it get stuck. I use a pump so that could have something to do with it, but it ran smooth and it was the cleanest wort coming out of the mash i've ever had. Vorlaufed through pump into port at top of mash tun for good 5 minutes before running into keggle, really excited for this beer.
Thanks Jaybird!!!!

Heck.. You're making me excited about this beer! Do you still have my address to ship samples? :D

I was wondering if you could give me you email address. I am overseas and I am unable to use the link on your website. I am trying to workout a custom false bottom. thank you for your time.

Received my FB and accessories yesterday. Excellent workmanship and fit, now it is time to get mashing!

Thanks NorCal crew!

Cheers

Jaybird, finally got a brew done with the new FB. Wow, I saw a big increase in efficiency over my rectangular extreme cooler/copper manifold setup. Thanks for the great product and excellent service.

Cheers!

My FB arrived on the East Coast in less than a week. The fit is EXACT and the craftsmanship is absolutely perfect. I am itching to get in a brewday and take this thing for a spin!!! Thanks Jaybird!!

I ordered mine when the Christmas sale happened. Finally brewed with it this past weekend. It did a fantastic job on the 25lbs grain bill.

I did buy it a little ahead of schedule knowing I wouldn't use it for a few months.

My FB arrived on the East Coast in less than a week. The fit is EXACT and the craftsmanship is absolutely perfect. I am itching to get in a brewday and take this thing for a spin!!! Thanks Jaybird!!

I ordered mine when the Christmas sale happened. Finally brewed with it this past weekend. It did a fantastic job on the 25lbs grain bill.

I did buy it a little ahead of schedule knowing I wouldn't use it for a few months.

So glad I can help! Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Brew Strong!!
Cheers
Jay

Okay guys so who got in on the Memorial Day free shipping deal and is using their 15" hinged False Bottom with a 5" mini hop blocker as a stand? Show em off! This thing rocks!!

I had a guy call the store today ranting for over 10 min about the 5" mini as a stand and how it solved all his problems in the mash and the boil.... Show em off, I know I sent out about 10 or 15 of them to guys here on HBT for the free shipping deal, I want to hear what you think and see em in action!
Cheers
Jay

Yeah I received mine pretty quickly. The box was totally smashed to about 2/3rds the normal size...not sure what the shipper did with it...glad it was just full of stainless stuff so nothing was harmed.

I ordered the 15" false bottom with the 1/2" tall 5" hop blocker (and weldless valve/diptube). I have not converted my keg for a mash tun yet...but I have set the false bottom and 'stand' in my brew keggle. It was quite sturdy feeling. Looking forward to when I get a chance to use it.

Whats the current status of the Hop Halter? I am growing tired of my hop spider and want to know if you have perfected this device yet.

I discontinued the Hop Halter. It was way to labor intensive to put together. We have other options for pellet hops. What kind of false bottom are you using?
Cheers
Jay

Thank you for the fast shipping and outstanding support of the homebrewing community. I upgraded my MLT to a full false bottom and moved my 12" false bottom to my boil keggle.

image-1599363275.jpg

I have your false bottom on my Keggle MLT and only been using a hop spider on my Boil Kettle.

We have been toying with several products and things are looking in the right direction. I am a big fan of the 15" hinged false bottom with the 5" mini as a stand. It has that secondary filtration and has been working killer for people that were having problems clogging a plate chiller. If you order it with the handle I weld the handle on the same side as the hinge so the 5" mini will work. We have been selling many of these for both MLT as a support for the guys doing monster mashes and constant recirculation of their mashes, like in a RIMS or HERMS. Also for the BK for the guys wanting that extra level of filtration for their pellet hops.

Thank you for the fast shipping and outstanding support of the homebrewing community. I upgraded my MLT to a full false bottom and moved my 12" false bottom to my boil keggle.

View attachment 66117

Now that is one nice looking setup! :D
Thanks for the order MUX

I am a big fan of the 15" hinged false bottom with the 5" mini as a stand. It has that secondary filtration and has been working killer for people that were having problems clogging a plate chiller. If you order it with the handle I weld the handle on the same side as the hinge so the 5" mini will work. We have been selling many of these for both MLT as a support for the guys doing monster mashes and constant recirculation of their mashes, like in a RIMS or HERMS. Also for the BK for the guys wanting that extra level of filtration for their pellet hops.
I switched from the Pico style false bottom to Jaybird's 15" hinged False Bottom with a 5" mini hop blocker as a stand and after 2 brew days couldn't be happier! No pictures yet but I concur
This thing rocks!!

I just brewed lat night with my new false bottom from Nor Cal. WOO HOO! I had the best efficiency:ban: to date and I nailed my estimated gravity. I love these false bottoms!!!! Thanks Jay!

I got my false bottom just in time for a 10 gallon brew day this past weekend. This is by far the BEST false bottom I have used. I was able to continuously recirculate my mash for 60 minutes with zero problems. The wort clarity from being able to do this is unbelievably better.

Thanks Jaybird!!

RyanWeary said:
I got my false bottom just in time for a 10 gallon brew day this past weekend. This is by far the BEST false bottom I have used. I was able to continuously recirculate my mash for 60 minutes with zero problems. The wort clarity from being able to do this is unbelievably better.

Thanks Jaybird!!

Did you use a stand

Did you use a stand

I bought the lowest price stand and it worked perfectly. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't use it - but since I often do 10 gallon batches I thought it would be a wise investment. Too bad I didn't use the same logic in purchasing the handle on it....

Considering ordering one for a new Converted keg I'm building... how do you determine which diameter to get? I've settled on hinged and with a hole, just need to determine size now.

He has one specifically for a snake keg. I would get one without a hole and drill the hole after you install your dip tube to make sure of the exact location.

Well the 15" with the reverse hinge and level 1 or level 2 stand is quickly becoming our best seller for the Sanke keg. There really is no need to drill the hole yourself unless you just want too. I off set the hole about 3/8" (this gives you a 3/4" range for your dip tube) so you can set the false bottom in place, install the diptube and spin the false bottom to line up the compression fitting for a perfect fit. This has helped a ton with dip tube placement issues for you guys and on my end as well.

Cheers
Jay

I just installed my false bottom yesterday in my keggle... The install was easy except for 1 thing... Make sure there are no dents in the keg towards the bottom BEFORE you cut it and go through all that work lol. I cut mine only to find it was dented and the false bottom won't go in quite right...then has to spend forever and a day banging on the inside of my keg with a mallet....

Well the 15" with the reverse hinge and level 1 or level 2 stand is quickly becoming our best seller for the Sanke keg. There really is no need to drill the hole yourself unless you just want too. I off set the hole about 3/8" (this gives you a 3/4" range for your dip tube) so you can set the false bottom in place, install the diptube and spin the false bottom to line up the compression fitting for a perfect fit. This has helped a ton with dip tube placement issues for you guys and on my end as well.

Cheers
Jay

I plan on ordering one of these with free shipping in a few days. After reading this im getting it with the hole. Thanks!

finally got around to using my false bottom and stand. Performed great...though I didn't use the pump this brew day. I got mine hinged without a handle... I either recommend getting the handle or getting some stainless wire to use as a handle. It's difficult to install and take apart to clean without some sort of handle.

It performed much better than my igloo cooler. Not as many grains were stuck in the false bottom at clean up time and it was much easier to clean it by removing than in my cooler.

Didn't need to vorlauf too long before the wort ran clear.

Jaybird said:

Cheers
Jay

So purchasing the 15" for a normal half barrel would make sense? I have already purchased/installed a dip tube from brewhardware.com

So purchasing the 15" for a normal half barrel would make sense? I have already purchased/installed a dip tube from brewhardware.com

You bet. If you get the hole. I will drill it off center and should fit just fine. Take a quick look at the dip tube when its installed. If it sets in the center, or really close you'll be fine.

Cheers
Jay

Great false bottom - I have the 15", drilled, hinged w/ handle in my MT and the hop back in my BK.

The dip tube is a tight squeeze in the MT - maybe that was before he started to offset the hole?

Bump for a great product.

Back