Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jay, I used your FB in my BK for the first time this past weekend and it worked great. I just threw in my leaf hops without a bag and didn't have an issue draining (like I did when I used a SS scrubie)

I was wondering if you've tried your FB (the 15") with pellets before and what the result was?

Here are the pics I mentioned in the pm Jay. If you look close enough it sits at about a 30 degree angle almost 45.

image-953930594.jpg

image-3789637911.jpg

image-426870564.jpg

I moved the Fb around so the handle is opposite the coupling. This seems to make it a bit better. The pickup tub isnt in the coupling all the way but the fitting makes a complete seal. If that makes sense (male adapter screws into female coupling correctly but pickup tube only makes it about 1/8" or less into the adapter not the coupling).

image-1964386703.jpg

image-1527389819.jpg

I off set the hole on the false bottoms. You can turn the false bottom and get a better fit from there. Turn the false bottom 90* from where your at right now and you'll see it either get closer or farther way depending on how what way you turn it...Looks like to me turning it 90* counter clockwise will get it closer.
Cheers
Jay

Jay, I used your FB in my BK for the first time this past weekend and it worked great. I just threw in my leaf hops without a bag and didn't have an issue draining (like I did when I used a SS scrubie)

I was wondering if you've tried your FB (the 15") with pellets before and what the result was?

If I just use pellets I stop about 70% of the hops. Add pellets and whole and you'll stop even more.
Cheers
Jay

Jay you are a smart man. I hope I am the first man on here to say I love you. You really made my day! Coming home to see that box was a rush :ban:

I am going to brew this weekend and give it a test run. I am totally looking forward to it. Too bad you are out in Cali! We could have a man date and do some brewing! The wives could hang out in the kitchen cooking us some grub.:rockin:

Oh and I appreciate all of the quick responses. Excellent customer service from beginning to after receiving the product.

Jay you are a smart man. I hope I am the first man on here to say I love you. You really made my day! Coming home to see that box was a rush :ban:

I am going to brew this weekend and give it a test run. I am totally looking forward to it. Too bad you are out in Cali! We could have a man date and do some brewing! The wives could hang out in the kitchen cooking us some grub.:rockin:

LMAO!!! Yep I think that's a first for sure. :D

How much would a non-hinged, no dip tube be in 18.75 inch diameter? I'm building a new mash tun out of a bayou classic 20.5 gallon kettle.

That would be awesome, I've been itching to brew again since I pretty much destroyed my keggle mash fun and false bottom by burning grain to the bottom of it.

So I got my false bottom and diptube for my keggle, and I'm having some difficulty getting it installed. Here's my setup: ball valve > keg wall > rubber gasket > bargainfittings weldless bulkhead (the one with the washer and nut welded to the nipple) > 1.25" coupling > dip tube threaded thingy (not sure what that's called). See picture below. The problem is that, no matter which way I orient the false bottom, I can't get the dip tube to fit into the end of the diptube threaded thingy. Do I need to be using a 1" coupling instead of a 1.25" coupling?

http://i40.tinypic.com/24mcj8m.jpg

So I got my false bottom and diptube for my keggle, and I'm having some difficulty getting it installed. Here's my setup: ball valve > keg wall > rubber gasket > bargainfittings weldless bulkhead (the one with the washer and nut welded to the nipple) > 1.25" coupling > dip tube threaded thingy (not sure what that's called). See picture below. The problem is that, no matter which way I orient the false bottom, I can't get the dip tube to fit into the end of the diptube threaded thingy. Do I need to be using a 1" coupling instead of a 1.25" coupling?

http://i40.tinypic.com/24mcj8m.jpg

It was nice chatting with you let me know how it works out...
Cheers
Jay

If I just use pellets I stop about 70% of the hops. Add pellets and whole and you'll stop even more.
Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay..just want to follow up.

I was more concerned about the FB getting clogged by Pellets, I don't mind so much if they make it through to the fermenter, as long as all the beer makes it too :mug:

So I just wanted to make sure if I used 7-8oz of pellet hops without a bag, I don't have a problem draining to my carboy?

Thanks again Jay. Worked like a charm after proper orientation yesterday.
Ohh heck yeah man thats why I am here!
Glad it all worked out for you
Now brew it up!
Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay..just want to follow up.

I was more concerned about the FB getting clogged by Pellets, I don't mind so much if they make it through to the fermenter, as long as all the beer makes it too :mug:

So I just wanted to make sure if I used 7-8oz of pellet hops without a bag, I don't have a problem draining to my carboy?

I have not had that problem myself in my keggle. I do brew 12 gallon batches and will dump them right in.
Cheers
Jay

I just ordered my first jay bird stainless steel false bottom and I cans wait to reproduce through it!

Hey Jaybird,

I am getting ready to order an FB/dip/valve kit from you. I have a standard straight sided Sankey MLT.

Can you confirm that is the 13" kit?
I see your kits come with an SS 1/2" barb. I don't need that barb, can it be removed from the kit, and at what savings?

How difficult is it to remove the FB from the MLT without a handle?

Hey Jaybird,

I am getting ready to order an FB/dip/valve kit from you. I have a standard straight sided Sankey MLT.

Can you confirm that is the 13" kit?
I see your kits come with an SS 1/2" barb. I don't need that barb, can it be removed from the kit, and at what savings?

How difficult is it to remove the FB from the MLT without a handle?

Well you can use any of the kits up to a 15"
I can remove the fitting for sure I dont know what the cost it to be honest...What ever we sell them for.

Add the handle you wont regret it....
Cheers
Jay

Ordered my 15" FB! Handle and Hinge. Can't wait. Also got the free shipping. Awesome. Thanks!

I've used this false bottom for about 20 batches. A few times I've had problems with "stuck sparges". I'm sure it was the pickup tube. It gets right against the bottom of my keggle and gets clogged. I recognized this problem when I first got the false bottom and sliced slots in it, but that didn't fix the problem. The following did. I highly recommend anyone with problems just cut away part of the bottom of the dip tube as I did (I used my angle grinder with a cutting disk). That's about a 1/4" cut away.

2012-02-11_at_10_51_17.jpg

I've used this false bottom for about 20 batches. A few times I've had problems with "stuck sparges". I'm sure it was the pickup tube. It gets right against the bottom of my keggle and gets clogged. I recognized this problem when I first got the false bottom and sliced slots in it, but that didn't fix the problem. The following did. I highly recommend anyone with problems just cut away part of the bottom of the dip tube as I did (I used my angle grinder with a cutting disk). That's about a 1/4" cut away.

I highly recommend you deburr that dip tube :mug:

I spent the entire day reading this entire thread from beginning to end. Amazing thread and some brilliant thinkers solving problems. I was looking at Brickmann's false bottom until I read this thread. It appears that Jay is the man and goes that extra ten miles to "get it right" so I have decided to order out a 55 gallon FB from Jay. I went so far as to delete all my suppliers on Beer Brew Stuff and substitued Redding Home Brew Store for hops and fun stuff. Got to support our homeboys even if I live in Phoenix ;-) Order to follow, really enjoyed reading this thread...

I spent the entire day reading this entire thread from beginning to end. Amazing thread and some brilliant thinkers solving problems. I was looking at Brickmann's false bottom until I read this thread. It appears that Jay is the man and goes that extra ten miles to "get it right" so I have decided to order out a 55 gallon FB from Jay. I went so far as to delete all my suppliers on Beer Brew Stuff and substitued Redding Home Brew Store for hops and fun stuff. Got to support our homeboys even if I live in Phoenix ;-) Order to follow, really enjoyed reading this thread...

WOW! Thanks you so very much! I look forward to working with you on your system!
Great first post! Glad I could be a part of it.
Cheers
Jay

Hey Jaybird any new custom projects in the works? Maybe a hop screen that works with pellet hops for a bottom draining keggle. (hint hint)

Cheers

Ohhh you guys are somehow in my head! We have been working with an industrial manufacturing company here in the US and coming up with what we are calling the "Trub Trap" Trade Mark is in the works as we speak. We are waiting for new screen to show up so we can test and get the right mesh size. But yes! I should have the new screen in about 5 to 7 days and when I get it I am wasting no time getting the new screen tested and ready for market. This is something that will work with all the false bottoms we offer and stop pellet hop mess from going to the plate chillers and fermenter. As we all know we will never stop 100% but we can try!
The really killer thing is its stackable. If you want to stop more add more Trub Traps in line and choose tighter screen mesh. I really dont want to say to much because we have only tested the one screen and although it worked killer I think we can do better....Besides its a killer reason to brew back to back batches :)
More to come but I will start a new thread about the Trub Trap and add the link here too.
Was there a leak of information here somewhere because I really dont remember telling anyone about this......Or were you just fishing?

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird said:
Was there a leak of information here somewhere because I really dont remember telling anyone about this......Or were you just fishing?

Cheers
Jay

I think it was just wishful thinking and what a great wish come true.

I only asked because I was trying to configure something for my new bottom draining keggle eherms build. Knowing that you did custom work with the false bottoms I figured I'd throw it out there and if you said no id ask if you if you'd be able to assist me in brainstorming for my build

I never thought you would say that there was already something in the works

Well I have been working on coming up with something simple yet effective. I'll keep you all posted on how its coming together.

Also I want to remind you guys about the leap year free shipping deal on all orders over $89.99. Its ending tomorrow. We also have the 10.99 2 pc and 13.99 3 pc stainless ball valve offer ending tomorrow night as well.

Cheers
Jay

Jay - what is the hole diameter you use for your false bottoms? Is that proprietary information? I'm a plate chiller user, considering a 2 stage filtration. I'm thinking one of your false bottoms would make a great 1st stage for whole hops and a percentage of pellet, then rely on whirlpool and something with finer mesh for the remainder of pellet hops.

Good luck with your trub trap design. I look forward to seeing it.

Latest posts

Back