jasmine rice mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorgonzo79

Reaction score
I would like to add 1 -2 # of jasmine rice to my next brew as an experiment. my question is would 2# of 6 row malt be enough to convert that amount of rice. I plan on cooking it, and roughly pureeing it prior to mashing. My plan is to do a mini mash along side my main mash then add the wort into the brew kettle. the only reason i am doing it this way is to get a gravity reading on the cereal mash and do not want to waste time. I'll add it in the mash next time if i like the result. 144F for 30 min and raise to 153 for 30 min schedule is the plan.
any input is greatly appreciated!

Briess Pale Ale Malt 9 lbs, 8 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 45L 1 lb
Caramel Pils 4 oz
1 oz Millennium Pellets - Mainly Bittering Hop 16.6% AA - 60 min
1 oz Palisades Pellets - Dual Purpose Hop 8.3% AA - 15 min
1 oz Centennial Pellets - Dual Purpose Hop 8.7% AA - 5 min
1 oz Citra Pellets - Dual Purpose Hop 13.4% AA - 0 min + 15 min rest

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast 1 ea

Rule of thumb for diastatic power is the weighted average should be 50+. So (for example) with 5lbs pale malt (120DP) + 5lbs rice (0DP), the weighted DP is 60, which is enough to convert reasonably quickly.

6 row malt doesn't have all that much more DP than North American 2 row, so check your malt specs.

ok cool,
looks like 1:1 is the way to go then.
I will get a spec sheet for the malt though, looks interesting.

Back