jars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2you

Reaction score
Hello again. I had a friend ask if it would be possible to bottle beer in a mason jar. I told him I wasn't sure if it would hold the pressure. He seems to think that wouldn't be a problem. I figured I would ask you guys to see if you have any insight into this. He wants to have larger containers than his bottles. I'm thinking he'd be better off kegging but he brought up the fact that you can't take it with you. So if jars are not a possibility is there any other containers of this size I can tell him to use so he doesn't have a huge mess on his hands, and wasted beer. Thanks

Mason jars = NO.
They are designed to hold vacuum and aren't strong enough for the pressure.
Use non-twist-off beer bottles, swing-top Grolsch bottles, or champagne bottles.
Plastic soda bottles would do in a pinch.

His swing tops are only 22 oz. He says he wanted something bigger like 32oz or more. Aren't there growlers or something that are bigger? Seems like someone mentioned them on here the other day, I just can't remember what thread it was in. If he get's something bigger I might get his swing tops. Good deal for both of us!

Growlers have always worked well for me. I use at least one or two every brew for transportation purposes and for the fact that botteling is a pain. The one thing you want to make sure you do is sanitize them well. Most growlers people have have been laying around for a while - I use my Carboy brush and scrub pretty hard due to prior contamination I exper. with an old Shed Mountain Ale Growler -

Growlers arn't designed to hold much pressure either. I know people here who have bottled in 2 liter bottles.

Growlers aren't holding beer under pressure, at least not much. They are filled with draft beer, and not necessarily with fermented beer and later carbonated.

I'm not an engineer, but it would seem like a container that large needs some more beefyness. Just looking at Champagne bottles and beer bottles makes me doubt the strength of the growler...

But to each his/her own. If it works well, I'd be happy to hear about it!

San Pellegrino bottles their mineral water in 1 liter (33.8 oz.) green glass bottles that take normal bottle caps.

Have your friend drink a few of these and bottle away.

His swing tops are only 22 oz. He says he wanted something bigger like 32oz or more. Aren't there growlers or something that are bigger? Seems like someone mentioned them on here the other day, I just can't remember what thread it was in. If he get's something bigger I might get his swing tops. Good deal for both of us!

32 oz swing top bottle

You can get magnums of Riunite Limbrusco for under $10.00 ... Screw on tops and they can hold pressure.

And the ladies love it. Grab a six pack [of magnums] and get'er'dun!

Back