Jaded Hydra....as advertised

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
My wife bought me a Jaded Hydra immersion chiller for father's day and I must say that I am impressed with it so far. Ground water was at 75 degrees and I was running it wide open with a 12' garden hose. Chilled 6 gallons of boiling wort to under 100 in 3 1/2 minutes and down to 80 degrees in just under 9 minutes. Very nice product. Btw I was slowing stirring my wort while it was chilling so that helped.

I have been eyeing one of these for SO LONG! I have a 50' CFC that i made a long time ago that works REALLY well... but always concerned with sanitation. Glad they are as good as they look. Makes me want one even more now! lol Congrats!

Will be looking forward to winter brewing now so I can get down to lager temps without ice.

My wife gave me one for Christmas...was able to get from boiling to pitching temp in about 10 minutes. Ground water is warmer now in the Dallas area; quickly gets to the mid-70s but tough to get below that...takes a few hours in the Cool brewing cooler with jugs of ice.

On that note, I'm looking for a 20'-ish prechiller, 1/2" diameter copper tubing. Between that and the Hydra, I'll be set any time of year.

Mine works great too. Really wish someone made a stainless rendition.

I've had mine for about a year and am more than impressed. When my ground water gets to 81-82, the pump comes out when I get it to 100 then a few bags of ice and the pump gets me to 65 in no time.
A very worthwhile piece of equipment.

I've had mine for about a year and am more than impressed. When my ground water gets to 81-82, the pump comes out when I get it to 100 then a few bags of ice and the pump gets me to 65 in no time.
A very worthwhile piece of equipment.

Not to hijack...but what kind of pump?

I treated myself to a Hydra prior to my last brew day and holy moly does it work fast. Prior to that I had a pretty standard bare-bones 25 foot stainless steel IC and while it wasn't atrocious, it would take at least 20+ minutes to cool to around 70 (our ground water stays pretty close to 50-55 degrees).

This last brew day, the Hydra dropped the temp from boiling to a 175 for a hopstand in about 30 seconds. And then from 150-160ish to 70 in about 5 minutes after that.

One pretty small but nice thing I like about about the Hydra that is more about how I disliked my prior IC: my old IC had clear hoses attached via barbed connections that hung down almost to the end of the kettle, which made it a little unwieldy to drop it into boil. The hoses themselves got a little warped and stretched because of the heat. The Hydra only has the copper connections to the hose connectors so that wasn't a concern at all.

Seems to be a very well made unit. Maybe next time I will try a pre chiller or recirculate ice water through it

Also have one and also a very happy customer. They even custom bent it to fit inside a Blichmann BoilCoil while still being almost completely submerged in a 5g batch (15g pot). I use a pump to whirlpool.

One pretty small but nice thing I like about about the Hydra that is more about how I disliked my prior IC: my old IC had clear hoses attached via barbed connections that hung down almost to the end of the kettle, which made it a little unwieldy to drop it into boil. The hoses themselves got a little warped and stretched because of the heat. The Hydra only has the copper connections to the hose connectors so that wasn't a concern at all.
Agreed. Those flimsy little hoses were constantly slipping off the chiller I used to use. By the time I replaced it they were held on with hose clamps and wrapped in tape, and they still leaked.

The Hydra is miles better in every conceivable way, I love it.

Back