Jägermeister Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarjcr

Reaction score
Hey all. My 23 y/o brother-in-law died this past March after he was hit by a car. The last really special moment I had with him was when I gave him a case of Jägermeister. I got this crazy idea that I can't shake... Maybe I could try to make a beer in his memory that incorporates that memory?

Now, I know perfectly well how insane it sounds, but I was wondering IF you could add a very, very slight Jägermeister taste/aroma to a homebrew?

A Google search returned zilch (admittedly, a pretty good sign I'm DIW), but I figured I'd at least attempt a last-ditch effort and ask all of you homebrewing experts.

So... Is it possible? Reasonable? Would it taste like sh*t? Has anyone on HBT ever tried something like this?

If possible, how would you go about it? My brewing skills are fairly basic.

Sure wish I would have bought him some DFH 120 or a Deschutes Abyss...

Sorry to hear about your brother, man.

As far as Jäger-beer, I would prime with it. That would give it the Jäger flavor and have enough sugar in it to carb.

I can't tell you the exact ratios to use, but I can tell you what I did to get you on the right track.

I primed a five-gallon batch of chocolate porter with a bottle of Creme de Cocao (minus two shots and a swig). This was a bit much as it was a bit over carbed, no bottle bombs, just a lot of head. I would do 3/4 bottle next time.

As far as using Jäger for priming, I would try to find how much sugar is in it per serving and calculate from there.

Look up star anise in beer, the recipes I've seen out there are usually for stouts and holiday beers.

I primed a five-gallon batch of chocolate porter with a bottle of Creme de Cocao (minus two shots and a swig).

As far as using Jäger for priming, I would try to find how much sugar is in it per serving and calculate from there.

Great insight. That gives me a starting point. Thanks!

As for the chocolate, I've been wondering how to get that flavor profile too. You just killed two birds with one stone, my friend. Appreciate it!

Look up star anise in beer, the recipes I've seen out there are usually for stouts and holiday beers.

Brilliant. That's definitely along the lines of what i was thinking flavor-wise, and your suggestion opens up a whole lot of options for me. Thanks!

you could also oak age the beer. maybe get some raw oak, toast it in the oven, then soak it in the jager for awhile. then age the beer with the oak for a month or 6. depending on the style of beer.

i have friends that do a stout aged with malort. could be the way to go.

also, sorry about your brother. ive lost a couple good friends to getting hit by cars while riding bikes.

good luck with your brew.

I just took 2nd place in the Rocky Mountain Homebrew Challenge with my Jagerbier in the Spiced/Herb/Veg catagory... think it pulled a 38

It's a Rye Baltic Porter spiced with Star Anise. I'll post the recipie sometime this week.

Back