I've moved to Detroit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezzieyguywuf

Reaction score
Well, Farmington Hills actually. I was planning on whipping up a milk stout tomorrow but forgot to hit up the LHBS: anyone know if there's one that will be open tomorrow? More importantly, what ARE the LHBSs around here?

Cap n Cork is homebrew nirvana, but who knows if anyone will be open. You'll have to call. Here's a bunch of the other metro detroit ones.

Cap-N-Cork Home Brewing Supplies
16812 21 Mile Road
Macomb, MI 48044 Map/Directions
Phone: (586) 286-5202

Adventures in Home Brewing
23869 Van Born Road
Taylor, MI 48180 Map/Directions
Phone: (313) 277-2739

Kuhnhenn Brewing
5919 Chicage Road
Warren, MI 48092 Map/Directions
Phone: (586) 979-8361

Hopman's Beer & Wine Making Supplies
4636 West Walton Blvd.
Waterford, MI 48329 Map/Directions
Phone: (248) 674-4677

Hopman's Beer & Wine Making Supplies
4636 West Walton Blvd.
Waterford, MI 48329 Map/Directions
Phone: (248) 674-4677

Michigan Brewing Company
2582 North M-52
Webberville, MI 48892 Map/Directions
Phone: (517) 521-2337

Things Beer
2582 North M-52
Webberville, MI 48892 Map/Directions
Phone: (517) 521-2337

U-Brew Homebrew & Winemaking Supplies
1486 Washtenaw Ave
Ypsilanti, MI 48197 Map/Directions
Phone: (734) 337-2015
http://ubrewmichigan.com

Brew & Grow
32610 7 Mile Road
Livonia, MI 48152 Map/Directions
Phone: (248) 442-7939

Wine Barrel Plus
30303 Plymouth Rd.
Livonia, MI 48150 Map/Directions
Phone: (734) 522-WINE (9463)
http://www.winebarrel.com/

Welcome to the neighborhood!!!!

FYI, Michigan is the largest represented group here on HBT, and there's quite a few of us in Metro Detroit, and many of us get together to either brew together or meet up at brewpubs, usually Dragonmead.

We also have our own subsection of the forum Michigan Mashers.

It's a good resource to have to communicate state or region specific questions or info on.

Ok, for any of you michiganers reading: I need a barbershop. Not a salon, or a "quick cuts", but a barbershop. Further, I wasn't a 'black' barbershop, like what you see in the Ice Cube movie, not a 'white' one, like you'd see on The Andy Griffith show. Excuse my non-PC here but I been looking for a few weeks now and I have had no lunck.

Thanks

I know this place is in business, I've passed it by, can't tell you much about it.

Black Bottom Cuts Barber Shop.

It's hard to miss, it's the only open business on that block.

Have you actually gone into Detroit proper? There's black barber shops all over south of 8 mile, on Woodward, mack, warren, grand blvd, Gratiot, and also tucked into all the side neighborhoods like this one is.

Look for a Jude's Barbershop. Good haircuts, walls are covered with posters of guy-movies, hot chicks, bands, etc...good music playing (no miley cyrus crap, no teenybopper bulls***)...they use a straight razor on your neck, wash your hair and give you a scalp massage with a hot towel over your face and finish it up with a shoulder massage. The one by me (East Lansing) has pretty damn good-lookin women too.

Prices aren't bad, $18 I think for everything just mentioned. There's one in Walled Lake:

39580 W 14 Mile Rd, Unit 38
Walled Lake, MI 48390
(248) 859-5399

www.judesbarbershop.com

Wait, I read "I wasn't a black barbershop" and thought you missed a couple words and meant "I wasn't looking for a black..."

I'm guessing you meant "i want a black barbershop"... Jude's isn't really in that category I guess. Revvy's response is probably more relevant than mine! Sorry about that.

Yea, what I meant was I wanted a black barber shop. Found one pretty far east on 7th, but was less than thrilled with the cut :-\ guess I'll just have to keep looking.

On a different note, I was at this lhbs a little east of royal oak, kinbehnn or some such (they have good beer) and I got all the fixins to brew up a milk stout however: I forgot to factor in, however, that I don't have a mill to grind my grain in! Till now, I been having it ground at my lhbs (this was back home) but this place is more than a bit of a drive from my place in farmington hills (right near 8 and grand river): anyone know of a place closer I could grind my grains? Thanks.

1.Hair Cut - Great Clips at 12 mile rd. and Halsted $12. I get mine done there, they do a good job and it's convenient for me.37574 W. 12 mile rd. (248) 324-2070. I am happy with them, but my hair is simple (ol Jarhead), how do you mess up a haircut like that.

2.Homebrew Supply somewhat convenient for you? I work in Farmington Hills but I don't live there. The best thing I can tell you is I have bought many things from "Adventures in Homebrewing". They are South and East of you, but they seem to have everything under the sun for brewing. Two co-workers homebrew and they swear by that place also, they live close by it though. If you have the time, I would definitely check that one out. You may want to leave your credit cards at home though. :D

1.Hair Cut - Great Clips at 12 mile rd. and Halsted $12. I get mine done there, they do a good job and it's convenient for me.37574 W. 12 mile rd. (248) 324-2070. I am happy with them, but my hair is simple (ol Jarhead), how do ou mess up a haircut like that.

Uh, you didn't happen to notice he wanted a typical BLACK barbershop, and a great clips type place (in his post "quick cuts") was NOT what he wants. He doesn't want the whitebread experience, he wants the ghetto experience.

He wants, "Riding Dirty"

Not "White and nerdy."

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also from the SE MI area.... quite a few brewers around these parts. I'm also an avid mountainbiker and for some reason a lot of them are also brewers. :rockin: so I have quite a few resources for brewing tips. I work right down the street from Adventures in Homebrewing (dangerous!) and must concur that they know their stuff and willing to answer any questions, regardless of how elementary they are! I'm going to join the "Sons of Liberty" brew club in Plymouth (Liberty St. Brewery) which will really help me learn the tricks of the trade. Humm..........wonder if they'll let a chick join??? :D

Sons of Liberty is a good group of members, welcome to detroit, and look forward to seeing you at some of the meetings. :)

and we got a few 'chick's' in already :)

Back