I've got a hydro issue...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickshaker

Reaction score
It seems every time I wish to take an hydro reading it will cost me a 12 oz. beer. This just feels wrong to me. Alternatives?

Drink the sample and call it quits.

Plus I'm sure out of 5 gallon you can spare 12 oz.

The more you brew the less you'll need to sample.
I do some brews with no readings.

It takes 4 ounces for me to get a hydro reading. What are you filling up that takes 12 ounces? I usually take 2 to 3 readings totaling 8 to 12 ounces for a batch.

You need a smaller test tube and then you need to test gravity much less often.

Agreed with the latter part. I've seen on here some people don't think out about when samples are needed. This is when you ideally want them: To take the original gravity, when your pretty sure activity has ceased, three days latter to insure it has.

Do not take it: When visible signs of activity are going on, every three days when you think it has stopped.

In other words: If you have foam NO, Airlock activity NO, Think its done on Tuesday OK, but not again until Friday. If it didn't change your done. Did it change between Tuesday and Friday?-Yes, not again until Monday.

You need a smaller test tube.

Yep, what he said. You just need something barely wider than the hydrometer itself. They sell cylinders made specifically for this, or you can get a wine thief that can not only be used to take the sample easily, but you can drop the hydrometer right in that. This way each reading will only require about 4 oz or so. If you take 3 readings that's only about one bottle per whole 5 gallon batch :mug:

Refractometer.

No temp. adjusting required.

Accurate.

$30 shipped to you

Three DROPS to take a sample

Do you guys get accurate readings for FG with your hydrometer? I use mine for OG, and during the brew/sparge to see how I am doing. But I didnt think you could get accurate readings when there is alcohol present. I know there are correction tables, but I was under the impression they were unreliable.

Do you guys get accurate readings for FG with your hydrometer? I use mine for OG, and during the brew/sparge to see how I am doing. But I didnt think you could get accurate readings when there is alcohol present. I know there are correction tables, but I was under the impression they were unreliable.

You mean refractometer? I use it all the time for FG. I just plug the appropriate numbers into Beer Tools Pro, and it calculates it. I've cross checked with a hydrometer and the numbers agreed.

-Steve

You mean refractometer? I use it all the time for FG. I just plug the appropriate numbers into Beer Tools Pro, and it calculates it. I've cross checked with a hydrometer and the numbers agreed.

-Steve

Ha, good catch. I will blame the La Fin Du Monde! I meant to say refractometer to check FG. I think Beersmith has a correction tool as well, I may give it a whirl.

Pol, do you have experience with this refractometer?

I bought mine off Ebay... It wasnt THIS particular one, mine was a little cheaper, this is an example. There are probably 50 of them on Ebay for this price, which are 32% Brix refractometers, take your pick!

I use mine for FG too...

I plug my OG in Brix into ProMash. Then I put my FG in Brix in Proamash, it compensates for alcohol content.

The myth that you can only use them for OG, is a myth.

A wine theif makes for a great test tube.

With that said, I went to a refract after breaking two hydros in 4 weeks.

Back