Itsok Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conno

Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm doing brewing the Itsok Kolsch from The Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. My conundum is that he calls for Perle Saaz and Tettnanger hops in the ingredient list but makes no mention of the Saaz in the step by step portion of the instructions.
He states 'Add the alt extract and Perle hops to 1.5 gallons of water and bring to a rolling boil. Boil for thirty minutes,and add the Tettnanger and continue to boil for a further 30 minutes for a total of one hour'

No mention of the Saaz??
Where do you guys think I should introduce the Saaz?:drunk:

If you have some brewing software you can probably reverse engineer it to figure it out. I assume it tells you what the AA% of the hops are and the recipe IBUs. You already know when the Perle & Tettnanger go in, so play with different times for the Saaz until the IBUs are right.

Or post the entire recipe here and someone will help out I'm sure.

{edit} I just googled the recipe and it sounds like they go in with the Perle.

Thanks MM,thats what I thought too but just wanted a second opinion.
Cheers

I believe that Perle are a version of Saaz hops. Check out the hops section of the book where he describes the hops. Perle are included under the Saaz section.

Aclay said:
I believe that Perle are a version of Saaz hops. Check out the hops section of the book where he describes the hops. Perle are included under the Saaz section.

I don't know much about them but the wiki says they're actually a version of Hallertauer

They are not the same as hallertauer, but they can be used in place of them.

You can add them whenever you want, thats the great thing about homebrewing. Do whatever you like.

Back