It's snowing and I'm bored - PARTY-GYLE time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
OK, so it is snowing, and I am bored out of my mind. I happen to have a nice man-cave ( a 24 x 40 shop with heat and ventilation ) so I figured, hey, let's get a brew on!

Now, I was going to do another experiment - two recipes I was going to call Big Brother and Little Brother - essentially the same grain bills, but one is about 60% of the other . I wanted to make a session beer and a high grav. beer and try to see if I could make them taste the same. I dunno - I'm a dork I guess.

Any way, Then I got to thinking - hey, mash those puppies and run the first running of each in one kettle, and the seconds in another - like a two pot party-gyle. So I used the search feature, and I saw this has been done, cool, so I know I can, but I seem to miss one bit of info - how can I put this into Beersmith to figure my Gravity points? Or will I just have to wing it?

Anyone with any experience using this method, I'd appreciate the help. Gonna kick it off about noon EST, so I have time for input / queries and advice. And if folks want,will be glad to post pics later .

Thanks!

The size of your grain bill, efficiency, and water to grain ratio will all play a big role in this one. I've done 3 partigyles already and pretty much just winged them...My main focus was the high gravity beer and I just sort of found a comfortable IBU level for the second runnings and ran with it.

The first one IIRC was about 1080 first, 1040 second (I added some dme to up the gravity just a bit), second one was about 1.110 first, 1040 second (no dme), and this third one was about 1090 first and 1030 second (again, no dme). These are all post-boil gravities.

Your first beer is going to be pretty high gravity unless you increase the water to grain ratio (I usually run with 1.25 qts/lb) to bring it down a bit.

Personally I'd use the same hop schedule but scale back the IBU levels to be more appropriate to the gravity that you wind up with in the kettle.

The first two partigyles I did turned out great, the third one is ready to bottle or keg now so I can't comment on that one yet :)

Good luck, have fun, and remember RDWHAHB. It's going to be a long day but you'll end up with a whole extra batch of beer for basically the cost of hops and yeast.

Well, a few more bits of info :

I do usually shoot for 1.25 qt/lb, so thats a go.

I also just went to lay out my goodies, and realized I bought 2 different yeasts - Wyest American Ale, and Wyest American Ale II. Hmmm... now to decided which gets which.... I'm thinking the American Ale II for the bigger beer, since I seem to think is it a little "fruitier" and I thinkn the heavy would carry that good, and then leave the "cleaner" ne for the low gravity.

Total Grainbill will end up being ( since I am combining grain bills )

15 lbs 2 row
1 lb Carapils / Dextrine
1 lb crystal 10
1 lb crystal 40

Hops for bitter - Centennial
Hops for aroma / Flavor - Mt Hood

Comments?

OK, warming the strike waters - gonna mash 11lbs with 4 gallons in my 5 gal MLT, and the other 7 doing BIAB method - combine the two firsts in a kettle and then collect seconds...

Here , as they say, goes nothing.....

IMG_0717.jpg

Wow. Future note to self - I'm an idiot.

4 gallons of water and 11 lbs do NOT fit in a 5 gallon MLT.... duh :drunk:

Oh well, we're winging it, right?

For those keeping score at home, I DID get about an estimate 10 lbs in the 4 galls before it topped out - rest went into BIAB batch.. We'll see...

Boil time means grab a brew time - a pic of why I am so bored and of my IPA I made from a Brewer's Best Kit....

IMG_0730.jpg

1st running 4.5 gallons 1.084 (!)
2nd Running 4.5 gallons 1.032

No point in doing a third run.

Now we wait......

That's awesome man!!

I too "wung" it a few weeks ago. I brewed a russian imperial stout and felt compelled to continue sparging for a second runnings brew.

RIS came in at 1.110. Second runnings cam in at a whopping 1.031. I decided to change up the hop schedule for the second runnings.

I didn't know the term partigyle, so thanks for posting!!

Latest posts

Back