It's (not) the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HW

Reaction score
great-pumpkin.jpeg

Way back when we started brewing, we promised ourselves that we would never, ever brew a pumpkin ale. If we did, our friends and family were to take that as an indication that we had gone mad, and they should immediately seek power of attorney to make all future brewing decisions on our behalf. With that in mind, let's hear some fall recipe favorites that can help shepherd homebrewing into a glorious, pumpkinless future.

I keep fiddling around with a Cranberry Orange mixed fermentation Saison but still has a few more tweaks to go.

Caramel Ambers are always a big Fall hit with me and my friends/neighbors.

I'm going to try my hand at a Wee Heavy this year for when the snow starts to fly

We do a cranberry kettle sour every year. It's a gose grain bill, no salt, and 1lb of cranberries per gallon.

This year, thinking of tweaking it to be a cranberry orange sour. Same grain bill, no salt, 1lb per gallon cranberries, orange zest, and dry hopped with summit. Not sure on the dry hop yet, but we'll see.

EDIT - Amen to no pumpkin beers! I just can't get into them.

I keep playing with pumpkin ales just to try and get a really good one. Not my favorite beer but it’s something I brewed and it’s always drinkable. So I keep trying.
Most of the time this time of year I start messing with stouts and Octoberfest beers. I know I’m late for Octoberfest beers but I’m usually trying to keep the pipeline flowing so I always forget to brew Octoberfest and truly let it lager

I keep fiddling around with a Cranberry Orange mixed fermentation Saison but still has a few more tweaks to go.

I'm going to try my hand at a Wee Heavy this year for when the snow starts to fly
This name.. HAHAHA.

I just finished a wee heavy with a bit of smoked peat malt in it a few weeks ago. It's safely tucked away in the beer fridge waiting to warm me up when the temps drop a bit more!

I just finished a wee heavy with a bit of smoked peat malt in it a few weeks ago. It's safely tucked away in the beer fridge waiting to warm me up when the temps drop a bit more!

What percentage of your grain bill was the smoked malt? I'm *extremely* sensitive to smoked malt and so far have yet to find a beer where it's not overwhelming. I'm not sure if it's because breweries around me are using too much or if I just don't like it

What percentage of your grain bill was the smoked malt? I'm *extremely* sensitive to smoked malt and so far have yet to find a beer where it's not overwhelming. I'm not sure if it's because breweries around me are using too much or if I just don't like it
I used 3.5% it’s definitely there, but not overpowering.

My next batch is probably going to be the Backyard Pilsner all grain kit from Adventures In Homebrewing. Let's end the annual Autumn abomination that is pumpkin beer! :rock:

Back