It's HOT outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
I was thinking about setting up a shop fan in the brewery, just to cool me down. You know the kinda fan with big metal blades and cage; it only has 3 speeds high, super, and air-boat...It's 95F with rain in Chicago. If this doesn't help the brewery is shutting down.

95 in Southern Oregon. Good thing we're heading to Belize. Only in the mid 80's there. But it does mean that I have to leave good beer behind.

It was 105F yesterday,101F today. Was getting hard to breath in the car with no a/c. All because one lil elbow for the refridgerant lines isn't made anymore. WTF? Gunna go grab a cold one & some ice. Headin for the two fans upstairs...:drunk:

I was thinking about setting up a shop fan in the brewery, just to cool me down. You know the kinda fan with big metal blades and cage; it only has 3 speeds high, super, and air-boat...It's 95F with rain in Chicago. If this doesn't help the brewery is shutting down.

Send me one of those fans for my brewroom.
It was 108 and raining in the brewroom yesterday, need to talk to the boss about some air circulation in that room soon.

I feel your pain, i brewed in the garage on mon and my digital thom was reading 100 and it was only 1130 am

I'm waiting until next week.
hu7h.jpg

Guess the heat kills you guys up north huh? Its been 90-105 in the sun and 89-98% humidity here:D sweat and fans don't work anymore when it is that humid add non stop rain since April the skeeters are everywhere. Meteorologist said if it didn't rain again till December we would still be over rainfall for the year ;)

I'm gonna hold off until Sunday Morning. Should be cooler overnight and I usually start pretty early in the morning so I'm done by noon. With a high of only 81, I'm hoping that holds. My biggest problem this year has been the bugs. They all want to start hovering during cooling. So I've moved my operation to the patio in the back. The problem with that is no shade at all, none, but it gives me quick access to the laundry rooms cool tile floor and large wash tub that I can hook my hoses up to there. Never thought I would say this, but I miss winter, but only for brewing, can't beat the summer for drinking.

This is the time of year that I REALLY love brewing in my basement...... 95 outside, 62 in my basement:) Oktoberfest getting ready for sparge.

Been so hot here for almost a month. In the upper 90's for a week now with the humidity it's like 105. No rain to speak of just brutal. I've had 5 ticks on me already I can't even go in the woods ill be covered. Just have to keep drinking I guess

I'm with Whosj.....ya just don't appreciate the heat:mug: AVERAGE temp where I live is above 95 continuously through the summer.... I can recall one day in 5 months below 90....I've adjusted to brewing in 100+ temps on a regular basis. And yes, I use a fan and brew in the shade and it takes 10 lbs of ice per 5 gal of wort to chill and I consume my products while brewing....at 8 AM on Sunday morning while I attend Beer Services:tank:

The older you get, the better the heat is appreciated versus the cold;) that's why we have all the Winter Texans:D

Weather Underground tells me it's 108 with the heat index outside. I believe it. It only takes about a minute to break a sweat outside for me today and that's just driving around.

Sunday morning should be ideal brewing in Chicago area, mid 60's overnight but I can't brew that day. Oh well...

Guess the heat kills you guys up north huh? Its been 90-105 in the sun and 89-98% humidity here:D sweat and fans don't work anymore when it is that humid add non stop rain since April the skeeters are everywhere. Meteorologist said if it didn't rain again till December we would still be over rainfall for the year ;)

Yea man, you and I both probably grew up in it, I was working outside from the time I was able to. Still takes a little time to get accustomed to it. I'm glad to be working in my new air conditioned office job, this time last summer I was still roasting coffee, no AC and standing next to a 350 degree roaster all day, talk about drenched. I like to say that down here we usually get 9 months of summer and 3 months of almost winter

The humidity has been really high along with the temp up here. been over 95,up tp 105 + the heat index. It's so humid,I put on a clean tee shirt to go somplace,come home & I'm drenched. Come back to tee hung over a chair the next day,& it's still damp! Cold air from Cananda is supposed to sweep down through the Ohio valley late this afternoon & cool things down a little. This hot front is gettin das boot...und ihr wisst was es ist...es ist mein teil! :D

Yea man, you and I both probably grew up in it, I was working outside from the time I was able to. Still takes a little time to get accustomed to it. I'm glad to be working in my new air conditioned office job, this time last summer I was still roasting coffee, no AC and standing next to a 350 degree roaster all day, talk about drenched. I like to say that down here we usually get 9 months of summer and 3 months of almost winter

SC is strange if it's 105 in the sun at my house Columbia is 200.... 3.5 years ago I worked in Heat Treat Dept the furnaces got to 1700* but with insulation its probably more like what you went threw. In the winter 2 feet from furnace 120* 10 feet from furnace 32* in summer 2 feet from furnace 220* 10 feet from furnace 120* got laid off went to college sit in AC now I was also a brick mason in a former life.

I worked in the Ford foundry's melting area in July & August. Afternoon shift too,after all that steel & concrete baked in the hot sun all day. It got up to 145F ambient temp in there. The cublos (furnaces) were up to some 2800F. Sweated off 10lbs every night. I've spent my time in hell. Denn est ist mein teil...

I worked in the Ford foundry's melting area in July & August. Afternoon shift too,after all that steel & concrete baked in the hot sun all day. It got up to 145F ambient temp in there. The cublos (furnaces) were up to some 2800F. Sweated off 10lbs every night. I've spent my time in hell. Denn est ist mein teil...

geez that reminds me of when I used to build barns, getting all those tin roof panels up after they bake for a while, I always considered just spraying them with Pam and frying some eggs on 'em for lunch, hell, feed the whole crew!

geez that reminds me of when I used to build barns, getting all those tin roof panels up after they bake for a while, I always considered just spraying them with Pam and frying some eggs on 'em for lunch, hell, feed the whole crew!

All the masons would leave our (left over's) plates on the dash of the work truck at 9 oclock break by 12 you had to let it cool. Some guy brought is kids science project solar hot dog cooker, cooked everybody hot dogs for lunch one day that me wear sun screen for awhile:(

After 12+ hours in that hot foundry,I'd get to the bar across & down the street. Shlork down 6 draft lagers like it was nothin to just rehydrate. Big gasp of air,then aaaahhh...relax.

Hot and nasty is picking tobacco......about the worst job I ever had in my life....especially when you didn't have a choice. Dust, sweat, worms and sticky stuff in 100 degree heat. I would rather have been in school as a teenager.

The older guys I worked with at Ford in Batavia talked about "pickin 'backer" when they were young. They liked Ford better.

In my opinion "picking" tobacco (although it would be chopping unless you mean topping it) isnt even the worse part. Getting in the top of a tobacco barn 15 rungs high when the tin bakes your back while you hang it is the worst.

It was 112*F today @ 6:30 PM..... Uhhhhggggggg There is just no cooling down. It is supposed to drop down to 108*F today...

Yeah I'll stay indoors.

Cheers
Jay

Does not really go above 105F here in the summer but that is toasty enough for me. However during the winter temps as low as -22F are also common. Proper seasons FTW :)

In my opinion "picking" tobacco (although it would be chopping unless you mean topping it) isnt even the worse part. Getting in the top of a tobacco barn 15 rungs high when the tin bakes your back while you hang it is the worst.

Just remembered they cut it,my bad. Been a long time since I was transferred around. Finally cooled down yesterday morning when what was left of that thunderstorm moved through the area.

Just remembered they cut it,my bad. Been a long time since I was transferred around. Finally cooled down yesterday morning when what was left of that thunderstorm moved through the area.

No problem union. I just know if they were picking it then they were much more badass than me. It cooled down some here too. Now a much needed brew day.

While we're stuck in the dog days of summer,I figured I'd get some brewery construction done instead. Need to control ferment temps anyway. Gott a make two tables to go around the corner to the right of the fermenter stand. Then a fermentation cabinet on top of the stand for my two fermenters. Gunna take care of the next level stuff.

A day to pray for rain for sure! But then when that barn was full.....and that started to cure....what an aroma.

Picking, topping, chopping, stripping, hanging....in Middle Tennessee it was the process
Pickin' was getting rid of the worms and bad leaves....crawling in and through the plants in that sun
Toppin' was just that
Chopping was cutting it down
Stripping was in the barn, peeling and placing for hanging

Back to normal temps here...100 typically after a couple days in low 90's. Yesterday was supposed to be cloudy, 92 and calm....turned out to be 100, sunny and very, very windy....really messed up my brew day with that wind.

It rained again today to help keep temps at sainer levels again. Thank the Lord for that. It was getting so hot outside,it was getting hard to breath in my lil tuner out in traffic with all that heat reflection negatively re-enforcing the already high Heat index. Not to mention,the FF drivetrain cooking my sneakers through the firewall. Kinda like driving a Daytona Cobra at speed. 10-15 miles of that & my feet were swollen & hotter'n all getout. I can scarcely imagine Ken Miles getting out of the aluminum firewalled Daytona Cobra after a couple hours around 180+...:drunk:

Latest posts

Back