Its hot here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aotidae

Reaction score
So, I am wanting to brew a Dubbel, and have it ready before Christmas hopefully. The issue I have is that I live in West Texas, and it is generally above 104 degrees Fahrenheit. I measured ambient temperatures throughout my house, and found the coolest spot to be in a closet. The issue is that the temperature is 76. I cannot not run a fan so any sort of evaporative cooling is not really an option. my father always brewed in fall/winter do to this problem, but I am stubborn and want to brew now. I am looking for a solution that costs as close to nothing as possible. The only thing I have come up with so far is wrapping the carboy in metal tubbing and have a closed system circulating water around it with the power supply outside of the closet, but this seems impractical.

Get a big round Rubbermaid container, fill it with water, put the fermenter in it, make sure the water level is the same as the beer level in the fermenter, add frozen water bottles as needed to keep the water at about 55-60 degrees, and you're done. It's called a swamp cooler....

Realistically, if you're going to brew in Texas during the summer, a fermenter fridge/freezer regulated by an STC-1000 is the way to go. Otherwise, the big water tub/frozen bottles thing is your only other decent option.

I recently did a dubbel (now bottle conditioning, about to test one tonight) using WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast. If you want to ferment it correctly, you'll start it at 64*F (measured on the bucket) and let it come up 2*F each day until you top out at 74*F. Hold it there to finish.

If you start it out at 76*F ambient, I don't think that you'll be happy with the result.

Get a big round Rubbermaid container, fill it with water, put the fermenter in it, make sure the water level is the same as the beer level in the fermenter, add frozen water bottles as needed to keep the water at about 55-60 degrees, and you're done. It's called a swamp cooler....

... and Get a thermostrip thermometer and put it on the fermenter. The thermostrip will read what the fermenter is at (which will be higher than the water).

This method works surprisingly well. I was dubious (I thought it'd just heat up too fast and it frozen water bottles wouldn't be enough to cool it) but it works.

Do the swamp cooler thing. A lot of people say you can ferment Belgians hot but..

If you start it out at 76*F ambient, I don't think that you'll be happy with the result

Bigfloyd is right. Keep it cool for the first few days or you might as well call NASA and ask them if they want some rocket fuel.

A swamp cooler works great, is easy to use, and will let you brew in the heat.

It's hot here too.
I got the "blue" tubs from Lowes.
Put ferm bucket inside.
Fill with water.
Rotate frozen water bottles.
Maintain the tub water temp to the ferm temp you want.

The temperature of the water in the tub, is very close(within a degree) of the contents of your fermenter. At least that is my experience.

Its a pain. but it works.

I'm in Florida (It's hot here too). I run a frozen 1 liter a bottle per day through my Igloo Cube. I have it filled about 1/4 of the way up with water and a little bleach:

Ferm Chamber.jpg

Ferm Chamber 2.jpg

I'm in Florida (It's hot here too). I run a frozen 1 liter a bottle per day through my Igloo Cube. I have it filled about 1/4 of the way up with water and a little bleach:

What's the model number on that igloo cube ?
That rocks !

I have a carpet remnant rapped around for insulation.
Currently Crashing an IPA.

IMG_20130712_175910.jpg

Thanks every one I already have a rubber made container large enough so that sounds perfect.

I do appreciate the cooler summer temps of Michigan vs the south. Along with cool basement. Also our good clean water. Nice and cool pumped rite out of the ground. But then again there is always winter. Good luck with all that heat.....

So, I am wanting to brew a Dubbel, and have it ready before Christmas hopefully. The issue I have is that I live in West Texas, and it is generally above 104 degrees Fahrenheit. I measured ambient temperatures throughout my house, and found the coolest spot to be in a closet. The issue is that the temperature is 76. I cannot not run a fan so any sort of evaporative cooling is not really an option. my father always brewed in fall/winter do to this problem, but I am stubborn and want to brew now. I am looking for a solution that costs as close to nothing as possible. The only thing I have come up with so far is wrapping the carboy in metal tubbing and have a closed system circulating water around it with the power supply outside of the closet, but this seems impractical.

Back