It's dry hopping time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atabrown

Reaction score
I'm working on my first original creation. This weekend I'll be transferring my batch to the secondary fermentor. I've got an ounce of Amarillo and Citra to dry hop with. Here's my question. How long should I dry hop? I've been told 3-5 days, I've been told 5-7 days, and 7-9 days. What are your recommendations, and why?

Some studies have determined and my own personal experience is that 3-5 days is optimal for dry hopping. I just read something recently, though I don't know the source, that said the aroma from dry hopping can peak within a few hours after adding the dry hops. My personal practice is to dry hop for 4 days and I get plenty of dry hop character. I might try going shorter, though, sometime and see how it comes out.

atabrown said:
I'm working on my first original creation. This weekend I'll be transferring my batch to the secondary fermentor. I've got an ounce of Amarillo and Citra to dry hop with. Here's my question. How long should I dry hop? I've been told 3-5 days, I've been told 5-7 days, and 7-9 days. What are your recommendations, and why?

I prefer 3-5 day schedule. I drop the temp on day three and cold crash for two. I have dry hopped for seven days but did not detect a more pronounced aroma or vegetal flavor. I have read that hops will impart a grassy or vegetal taste after a certain period of time.

I prefer 3-5 day schedule. I drop the temp on day three and cold crash for two. I have dry hopped for seven days but did not detect a more pronounced aroma or vegetal flavor. I have read that hops will impart a grassy or vegetal taste after a certain period of time.

I concur. I toyed with the "dry hopping bottles of Bud Lite" and discovered that anything longer than 4 days gave it some weird veggie, earthy taste. So I tried on a smaller scale and now I know what hop I will be using and for how long, when the time comes.

According to Wayne at Cigar City, they dryhop for a total contact time of two weeks at 50-55F.

Latest posts

Back